$500 @ Big Als

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Hello, I have a $500 GC at Big Als, and I am looking to start up a SW tank, I have a 55g tank (dimensions 48 x 12½ x 21). I am thinking of starting off with FOWLR and then perhaps moving onto Corals and other things as I upgrade my lighting.

I am wondering what is the 'best' way to spend my money at Big Als......
Oh just to let everyone know I am in Canada, so it must be BigAls "canadian stores" if you are looking online, not that I think each store carries different things, but well the prices will be different

I am trying to get the 'most for my buck' but at the same time I want quality items, because I have done fresh water and I sort of found out quite fast that I needed better equipment and had to upgrade quickly. So I am looking for starting this SW but doing it 'right.' I do not currently have a sump on my tank but I was thinking of doing a overflow box to a sump because I do not want to drill the tank. ( A) becasue I don't want to transport it anywhere, and B) I don't know if the glass is tempered or not)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know what I have to buy protein skimmer, powerheads, lighting, hydrometer/refractor, salt mix etc.....

What I am wondering is more along the lines of 'brands' at Big Als, as in should I spend my money at Big Als on "specific" items and then go buy the rest of my stuff somewhere else, which I am open to as well.

Thank you

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
As for drilling your tank.... the sides usually aren't tempered but the bottom is.(I would bet good money on it anyways)
I definately recommend getting a sump/refugium if you plan on going more than just fish in the future. The refugium is the best and easiest way for nutrient export... ie: getting rid of nitrates/phosphates without large water changes.
I can't stress the fact enough on doing your research of all aspects of SW husbandry.

I praise you for wanting to do things the "right " way :D

Items I would recommend...
1: Either Instant Ocean or Red Sea master test kit. You will want to be able to monitor ammonia/nitrite/nitrate when you first start up till you know your tank has been established and parameters stay constant and you feel comfortable without having to test very often. I test every 2-4 weeks.
If you go with corals you will also want a calcium test kit....

2: RODI. I don't know what your local water quality is, you will need to test it to see if you have any phosphates or nitrates from the tap. Those two things can/will cause nasty algea problems. I have crappy water with higher levels of both but as soon as I got my RODI unit my tank looks absolutely beautiful:) without having to go to the LFS constantly to buy water.
I bought my RODI off of Ebay for around $125 (US dollars)and my PPM went from about 500 to almost 0 *thumbsups BigAls is a little more spendy.

3: SALT. Everyone has their preference as to which brand they like... My choice is Redsea.

4: Skimmer, I have heard good things about Kent skimmers. Again, ebody has their preferences.

5: Lighting. CoolWaters mentioned metal halides, That depends on your longterm goals as for what you plan on getting into. What types of corals were you thinking of getting? If you go with MH's you are looking at spending ALOT for a 48" combo light. You don't necessarily need MH but again if you are thinking of stony corals, LPS SPS... open your wallet and close your eyes. A somewhat guideline for watts per gallon is around 5 WPG for SW tanks.....

$500 is a fairly decent start for a FO or a FOWLR but like I said... it is a start...
I'm tired and can't keep going... there is still the matter of return pumps, power heads, LR (LR was covered in your other post), clean-up crew, fish..........anyone else please carry on where I left off or missed....

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
For starting out here are a few things you'll need. I don't think 500 will cover it. This is for starting with a FOWLR.

- Skimmer: I like my bakpak 2R. You can always upgrade the pump on it.
- I used tap water up until a few weeks ago. I would do it right and start with RODI.
- I prefer reef crystals as my salt, but salt is salt for the most part.
- I started with 2 - 40watt NO flouresent bulbs, 1 was 10k and the other was 20k. I just upgrated to MH, but I kept few corals with my crappy lighting. I do not go by the watts per gallon rule, because various lights will penetrate deeper in the water. This is why I kept corals with my lights. I put them in the first few inches of my tank. T5s are a very good option.
- Live rock. 45lbs is a good start.
- I agree about the refugium. I made a small 4 gallon for mine and it works nicely.
- I started with tetra test kits, but I don't like their PH or alk tests.
- I think seio powerheads are the greatest.
- I would start with a hydrometer, but would upgrade down the road.

Hope this helps.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
are you ordering from big al's online or at the actual store?? cause ive never ordered from them online but i love the store ;) i checked the web site and didnt notice if they had any liverock or not but thats what yur guna want to start
1 a good salt mix
2 live rock some where around 50 lbs
3 live sand same as lr
4 power heads
5 skimmer

and if you get quality stuff u prolly wont have much left but that will be a good enough start to get the cycle goin

just to let u know for a 55g u will need MH which drains hundreds dont be surprised that 500 wont cut it.
mh would be nice but defintly not neccesary i have 260w of pc's over my 55 ;)

Last edited:

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Hmm, well 500 will help. I'd spend it on a skimmer and water movement stuff. See what you have left, and spend it on a load of salt, at least 3 times your total water volume, a hydrometer and maybe some test kits. If you have been doing fresh a long time note that you can use your high range pH and your kH kits from fresh, so you just need ammonia and nitrate (nitrite will usually work from fresh, but isn't toxic in salt anyway so who cares).
Lighting - MH is not necessary by any means for fowlr, just get some higher K fluoro tubes if you have a hood from freshwater days.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Good call. Wow we are getting alot of Vancouverites on this site......gotta love it.

Vancouver has some great places and options for reef tanks. Plus you have the added bonus of being on the coast and as a lot of livestock and rock etc comes ashore in the west you will have less shipping time and costs.

Do some reading to determine exactly what you want to achieve then put that $500 towards the really important things, such as quality live rock, and a quality skimmer,powerheads etc. Beleive me the rest will nickle and dime you to death over the next year or so........

good luck and keep us posted as we are here to assist. We also like to see your progress via pictures so as soon as you have it set up take a few and post them.....

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Yay Vancouver!

There are a few great stores around here, J and L Aquatics off Lougheed Hwy is great for livestock and equipment. Also I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and I've been doing a lot of price-shopping. J and L is generally about 5-10% cheaper for the same stuff than Big Al's is, so when you run out of money at Big Al's, come on over to J and L's and check it out.

They also have a website Welcome - Aquarium supplies, Fish food, Saltwater aquarium fish and aquarium filters from JLAquatics.com

LOL I feel like I'm advertising for them...I am I guess but I was just really impressed by their store and service.

I am taking a fish run around Vancouver today checking out a few stores I haven't been to. If you'd like I can post back and let you know what I find. I have a shopping list of salt, powerheads, heaters etc...I figure today's gonna run me about $300...oh dear..

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You guys are making me homesick.....but I will be back that way in May for a visit....I will have to check out J&L , where abouts on Lougheed......I have a sister who lives off Mariner Way......also where is Big Al's?

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Lorna, J&L is on Lougheed and Brighton...its right before Lougheed Mall when you are coming from Burnaby towards Coquitlam. Big Al's in Burnaby is right off Lougheed and North Road but it is inside a weird stripmallish type place and on the lower level so it can be a little hard to find, but really its quite simple on how to get there. Big Al in Richmond is off Three Road and Alderbridge...all of these are FYI for when you come back home to visit!

Why the decision to move to Indiana? It must have been hard to leave Vancouver. Sorry to steal your thread Dennis! I'll start my tank thread soon, I promise!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thanks Eva for the heads up I will hit both of them in May when I am home. I moved here as this is where my husband lived.....also I was looking for a change so in 98 I moved to the states. I really like it here but it is somewhat of a culture shock from Vancouver. All my family still lives in BC.

Dennis, you have a great start and I would read all you can get your hands on and plan everything down to the details.

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
hmm maybe a Wavebox :p

or buy lr, sand (will become LS) some power heads, salt (get the bucket you'll end up using it anyways) and then clean up crew, not sure if that will cover all this...
Best of luck,

Nick

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well looking back on the thread...there are some really good suggestions unless you are looking for actual brand names....if so here are a couple suggestions.....

Don't waste your money on:

Any Seaclone product get a good skimmer....such as a Aqua C Remora or even a CPR BakPak 2 reef ready

Don't get a wet/dry trickle their method is outdated and can lead to high nitrates further down the road......just get good quality cured live rock, I am sure that you can get some really good rock and if you want base rock I am sure that living in Van....you have more than ample access to it.

Get or build your own sump. This will add more water volume and lead to stable water parameters

Don't rush out and get an anemone.....read up and plan your livestock/corals etc BEFORE you buy them.

Don't waste your money on cheap testing materials. Buy good quality test kits these are worth their weight as they will be what guides you.

Get good powerheads and if you are planning some type of wavemaker in the future DON't buy the SEIO powerheads as they can not be used with most wavemakers....they don't take kindly to stopping and starting.....If you are not planning a wavemaker then these are great powerheads that move huge volumes of water in wide swaths......

and if you can afford it........get the best lighting you can afford now....you will save money down the road. Why spend your money now on something you are going to want to upgrade sooner than you think.......

Now these are what I call real suggestions....if you don't think so....:)