50g tank

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
so ive had my tank running for over a week now will post some pics at the end of this so you get an idea of what it looks like.
right now im trying to figure out wich fish to get for the tank. i was thinking
1 pygmy angelfish
1 red stripe angelfish
there both dwarf species and was reading on dr. foster and smith that the red stripe likes to be with other angelfish and the pygmy is fine as long as there arent more than onemale. so i figured this might be a good mix?
also wanted to go with the usualy pair of clown fish and later later laaatttteerrr down the line a manderin goby.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
so far so good! not sure about your angel question since i usually try to stay away from them since they like to nibble on lps :p btw tomato clowns are definitly not the best lol they are pretty much the most territorial of all clowns! did this replace your old setup or u still have that aswell?

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i once had a tomato clown n he was mean as hell! never again... yea he was hardy but its not like yur trying to use it to cycle the tank... im all about some true percs ;)

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
no tomatoe clowns for me not my favorite. im going for true percs or false not that picky.
this did replace my old 29. used the same sand and LR plus added another 20 pounds of LR.
those are chocolate chip starfish they came w/ the 50g when i bought it i will be giving them to a lfs once i start adding in coral.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
good choice to get rid of the chocs once you add corals as they are not reef safe.

Regardless of the choice tomato vs percs/ocellaris, both are territorial somewhat and should not be added first as any other additions later down the road could be difficult. As a general rule of thumb the most aggressive territorial fish should be added last.

Vanuck.......ahhh my old stomping grounds, I am a Vancouverite (Vancouver Island) transplant to the midwest. Been here for a bit. I have a trip planned to Van Oct 10th gotta go and have some of my Mom's turkey for thanksgiving.....can't wait.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Ahh you Americans, you have thanksgiving too close to christmas.....at least us Canadians spread it out a bit....That is one thing I missed moving here...October Thanksgiving....

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I can't say I ever really liked turkey that much. It's OK, but there are other things I prefer.

I have ocellaris clowns. I didn't want anything that would get too big or territorial in the tank. They're pretty cute, and they eat absolutely anything. Mine went in fairly late in the stocking, and have been very well behaved. The only thing they seem to worry about are their host frogspawn and food :)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
They do seem to be obsessive about their hosts.....mine finally found the lta anemone and never come out of it and chase everything away that comes close......they wouldn't even let it be yesterday when I was trying to spot feed the nem some nice mysis......(they weren't trying to eat the mysis but were just busy as usual rubbing all over it, in and out laying in it, at one time I thought my little male may have gotten eaten accidently but he popped out)

di0nysus

Large Fish
Sep 9, 2007
sunnyside of california
haha thats funny lorna. well right now im trying to set up my protien skimer its a euro-reef es52 the thing im having problems with is the pump. i know it works cuz i had it set up on my 29g for a little bit but i just cant seem to get the impeller to bring in water into the skimmer. its very frustrating.