50W heater still not enough! What should I do

zmarcoz

Small Fish
Sep 29, 2007
I have a 10 gal tank
Now my home temp is ~ 55F, i set the tank heater to 75F. the heater keep in working mode to release heat.
The temperature is colder every day. I will be out of town for a week. and I don't want to switch on the house heating system just for my fish.
I have a plan, either buy 100W heater for my tank, or buy another 50W heater and use both 50W heater at the same time in my tanks

What I think: 50W heater should be more sensitive to temperature, so I won't "cook" my fish if I use two 50W heaters at the same time

However, I would have a total of 150W heater if I buy a 100W heater tonite. It will be for sure that the temperature can be warn even the temperature drop to 20F

What do you think*twirlysmi

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
A 50w heater should be enough to heat a 10 gallon fish tank. The general suggestion is 5watts of heat per gallon of water. Are you sure the heater is working properly? What is the tank temperature when it is on? Does the tank have adequate circulation with a filter? If a heater isn't near circulating water, it will only heat the water around it unless that water is moved throughout the tank.

zmarcoz

Small Fish
Sep 29, 2007
A 50w heater should be enough to heat a 10 gallon fish tank. The general suggestion is 5watts of heat per gallon of water. Are you sure the heater is working properly? What is the tank temperature when it is on? Does the tank have adequate circulation with a filter? If a heater isn't near circulating water, it will only heat the water around it unless that water is moved throughout the tank.
I put my heater near the filter. I guess the filter is working ok because the water is warm when my room is cold.

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
If the ambient temperature in the room is really that low, it's not unreasonable that you would need another heater. I'd go with another 50.

MissFishy, it's pretty much impossible for a heater to only heat the water around it. Warm water is less dense, therefore it's pushed up by cooler water sinking to take its place, thereby creating a convection current, which does a decent job of exchanging water.

~JW