55 gal considerations...

AF888

New Fish
Jun 23, 2008
Rhode Island
I'm a newbie, been lurking for a bit and fiddling with a 5 gal hex tank that is the result of my daughter's science teacher's overly hopeful idea about the kids making no maintenance terrarium/aquariums. It's got a couple of plants - anacharis and a crypt, and 2 zebra danios and a guppy fry. It's cycling, but I think that addition of the plants from a LFS is making it pretty easy on me (and the fish.)

As seems to be the case, my husband mentioned the tank to someone and they gave him a 55 gal tank free. It came with a light which won't cut it for live plants, and no other equipment. Since the 5 gal desktop is a hit, I am considering the bigger tank for sometime in the future, and I had a few questions. Here they are:

1. Tank size (48x12 rectangular) is a consideration in location. It will be heated, but is an outside wall a bad idea in New England?

2. I've seen lots of recommendations for multiple filters, (making me realize the number of electrical outlets is also an issue in placement) and I'm not clear on exactly how you figure out how big etc. I'd like to plant the tank reasonably well, i.e. Amazon jungle, and have a couple of showy angelfish in with smaller community fish. Can someone give me tips?

I'm enjoying the collective wisdom here! Thanks!!
AF

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
I have my largest 90g on an "outside" wall, and all is well. Grant it, it is a standard house wall. As long as you have an adequate heater for the 55g, with temperature regulator on it, your good to go.

Before setting up your tank, take into consideration the outlet situation. I like to have a GFCI on EVERY tank I have in my house. Here is a pic..

If there is a surge in electricity etc, all power is cut. It may save you from electric shock. Invaluable!!!!

Filtration: Combination is great.

* IF you have a 55g tank, get a filter that is OVER the 55g rating. (For example, get one rated for a 75g or Larger.)

* COMBINATION is the best: examples...... canister + HOB (hang on back), UGF (under gravel filter with power heads on the uplift tubes) + a canister + Big sponge filter, HOB, and UGF, Canister, HOB and sponge. 2 HOB filters. Pick yer choice.

I have a Canister filter rated for a 125g tank, on my 90g, a giant sponge filter, and 2 UGF plates with power heads. It is a personal choice. And what works for one person, may not work, or be preferred, by another person. In addition, even though you want a planted tank, UGF may not be what you want, HOWEVER, I do have an UGF with power heads at each end, ONE is a reverse flow, One is set to regular flow. Push/pull mechanism I was experimenting with, and has succeeded for 2 years. BUT typically, UGF are not recommended for planted tanks.

Regardless what you decide. Having a backup filtration system, allows you to service or clean one filter, while the other can be cleaned a few days later, therefore not destroying your bacterial filtration. AND.. if one fails, and one day, one may just do that, you have a live/active filter STILL working, while you replace, or service the other one.

In addition, having more than one type of filter, allows for more of the water column to get filtered more effectively. TWO types of filters, when used together, are better then one, in my opinion, in larger tanks.

IN SHORT, I would recommend at least TWO types of filtration (Canister, HOB, Sponge, Sump, UGF w/power heads, etc). Usually a canister and another type you prefer. Or whatever floats your boat.

LIGHTING for plants. (OK .. HERE is a subject for debate, like everything else, it is a personal choice, and I'm NOT wanting to start a debate.) Usually, people tend to go with power compacts. However, since using T5 lighting fixtures, my plants get MORE light, for LESS energy consumption.

Just remember, people will tell you "Watts per gallon" when it comes to plants. BUT.. the REAL factor isn't how many watts you are throwing on top of the tank, it is the QUALITY. You can get as CHEAP or as $$$ as you want, BUT.. T5 I usually recommend, due to the higher quality of the light output, LESS HEAT generated, CHEAPER bulbs, and LESS energy consumption. TOTAL PLUS all the way.

After you've setup, you may want to use some Co2. For some plants to be able to "USE" the light they receive, they may need some Co2 supplementation. For a 55g tank, you can get 2 or 3 passive over the counter Co2 setups. You just refill them every 30 days with sugar, yeast, water, etc. They work great on my tanks. There are a few models to choose from, and your plants will LOVE you for it. (mine do)

OK.. I've probably stated WAY too much, and there will be some that disagree with some or everything I said.

One thing to get, the GFCI shockbuster outlet attachment, if your outlets are not GFCI already. MOST IMPORTANT in my book.

Good luck. :) It is always exciting to start your first BIG tank.

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
That was a pretty complete coverage there.

You can also use shock proof power bars that are made for computers. This is what I use but you have to make sure they prevent power surges BOTH ways.

nrstype

Medium Fish
May 5, 2008
I still use a power surge strip for my equipment, but it is also on the GFCI outlet, the GFCI is the safest I've found. If you have to plug in a small power strip, I plug it into the GFCI outlet (above). I've still gotten a zap with a surge strip at times, I'm just hovering on the side of super caution. The GFCI outlets are made for those areas where water could be present, the PC and Electronic surge protectors are made for electronic equipment in DRY areas, where water is not normally found, or a risk.

My understanding boils down to this.... GFCI outlet helps save lives, the surge protectors for electronics help save equipment. I'll go with my life anytime ;)

AF888

New Fish
Jun 23, 2008
Rhode Island
Thank you for that advice!
I will definitely put a GFCI device like pictured, that will put some of my electricity worries to rest. Water + electricity + kids = eeek!

In all that I have read, it never occurred to me to combine two types of filters...now I have something new to consider. (I have seen filters rated for 50g and been tempted, but then I realized that I would be setting myself up for failure.) I'm considering a canister, but I'm a bit hesitant because it's still so unfamiliar. I do know someone who uses one that would be willing to show me the set up etc, but his tank is marine and I'm fearful of too much plant-unfriendly advice!

As far as lighting, I expect it to be the largest expense. On this item, my LFS has fabulous planted tanks and has recommended the Coralife Aqualight double, the same one hanging over all their tanks. I'll be returning for them when I am confident that I am ready to start...but I still have much more to read up on.

CO2 will definitely be necessary, and I'd prefer low tech, but I am still trying to sort out how this effects pH etc. The pH in my 5g is slightly acidic, and the total alkalinity is also on the low side. Since that's how it comes from the tap, I am concerned about what the addition of CO2 will do. I'm going to get a more accurate test and do some more research on this before I even consider setting up. I'm not going to experiment in the small tank, which is just now delicately balancing itself!

Thanks again for your advice. I am sure I will be back with more questions!