55 Gal Cycle with plants

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
The plants in a heavily planted aquarium consume the ammonia, and they also tend to harbor the helpful bacteria for a seeding effect (I think?)...

What I haven't gotten straight in my head is this: does this mean that your tank cycles really quickly, or that there is no cycle because the plants take the ammonia out of the water before the bacteria can feed on it?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
The cycle will still go on because the plants will not consume ALL the ammonia you put in in a fishless cycle...but if you plant heavily and your plants are all growing and doing well and you stock slowly you can usually avoid seeing those natural spikes in ammonia and nitrites and have an 'invisible' cycle. If your aiming to do a nice heavily planted tank I would suggest doing your fishless cycle, even if it seems like you're just going through the motions. Take your time with getting the water chemistry (pH, c02 etc) and your plants, ferts, lighting etc right...before you add fish to the mix. That way you're not worrying about the plants at the same time as fish. If you're adding some ammonia to the tank then it is representing having fish in there, so I would think you shouldn't have to adjust your plantcare much after you stop adding the artificial ammonia and you stock the tank with fish. Also, if you're adding ammonia and go through the fishless cycle so you know your tank can support like 5ppm of ammonia a day then you wouldn't have to worry about stocking slowly...so it is totally up to you and your plans for your tank.

So in answer to your question...add the plants at the beginning of your cycle :)

MadFish

Small Fish
Jul 9, 2006
Erm.... Actually, Plants would prefer to absorb Nitrite and nitrate instead of Ammonia... Isn't it? If that's the case, then normally it's the bacteria that breaks down the Ammonia to Nitrate and Nitrate. Hmmm.... Just a thought..

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think they do a little of it all don't they? And if they dont, the reason you usually dont see ammonia spikes is because the bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite multiplies and works faster than the ones that convert nitrite to nitrate...so no matter what happens, you can split hairs all you want, with the plants absorbing stuff you can have a minimal or invisible cycling process with a heavily planted tank.