55 Gallon Journal

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Well i just got my 55 on sat. and have been messing around with some my base rock i have.. Heres some crappy pics i got from a camera phone lol .. I have about 45 lbs in my 29g im going to be using also so don't worry, I also have about 15-20more lbs of base if needed.. Im going to be using a Hydor #4 for the flow.. I want to try to get some rock in the path of the flow so it will break it up some so my softies won't be blown away, im waiting for my canopy to dry ill get some pics of it tomorrow, It doesn't look the best but w/e lol.. I also am going to try to see how this works, insted of getting expensive reflectors im going to line the inside of the canopy with tin foil.. its shiney and reflective so why wouldn't it work? I still need 1 more ballast for my light and just ordered 2 'knock' off bulbs from ebay for 40 bucks.. I should have my other ballast in 2 weeks or so.. Im in no hurry as i don't wanna have to redo any of this! anyways enough talk heres 2 pics, im trying to hide the powerhead if you couldn't tell!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Why would you think that? And like i said i have alot more rock going into the tank in the middle part for some more support, i really doubt them falling over since they have been like that all day and i have a 2yr old running around and dogs and they havent fell yet

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if i were u id defeniity invest in some reflectors lol i supose tinfoil is better than nothing but i definitly wouldnt leave it like that... cant wait to see the rest of the rock in there ...i may try that when i setup my new tank (hopfully a 240g 8'X2'X2')

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Well ive been workin on the tank tonight, got it filled and everything transfered just a few min ago.. Still only have 1 light tho lol.. i took my pc lights and laid it over the center brace, hopefully im going to pick up my other mh monday or tuesday.. ill get some pics in the morning if everything is open.. my heater must not have been on b/c my temp dropped down to almost 70!! Hopefully everything makes it!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Got some pics here ya go, leave me some feedback even if its negative! Enjoy,

Grape Idaho

Mushrooms

Zoas

Orange Cap

Frogspawn

More Zoas

Right Side of Tank

Center of Tank

Left Side of Tank

FTS heres the canopy i built

As of now i only have 1 mh light on the tank, im ordering my other 1 tomorrow so hopefully it will be in by the end of the week. Any thoughts on the tank?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Currently there isn't a sump, haven't got that far yet and i don't have an overflow box.. I probably won't put 1 in untill after i get back from vacation, leaving for Myrtle Beach next Wed.. Ill probably move them up abit. I was thinking about having the zoas cover each side of the tank and go from there.. Im going to use my 29g for a sump, i need a return pump and a skimmer still also. Thanks for the comments keep em comming!

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
very nice! i liked it better with the 2 separate pillars but that looks cool... my idaho grape is one of my favorites since i notice the most growth out of any other sps in my tank
(aside from my miami orchid :p )

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Yea i wanted to leave the 2 pillars but i had to much rock and had to fill it in somehow! lol.. My 'grape' is more of a brownish color.. Im hoping it colors up soon.. I just got some new ebay bulbs not very happy with them, hopefully they will start to show some 'blue' to them.. They are really bright tho!

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Moved some rocks around today, heres a FTS.. I had to move my leather b/c it was up against the glass in the front and rocks in the back so it was cramped.. Besides my zoas its probably my fav. coral i have
Old aquascape

New aquascape

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Thanks! Yea ive had it for over a year, its pretty big.. When i get my clowns i hope they host in it lol.. I have a frogspawn or a torch and i like that coral to i can't wait till it gets really big.. Soft corals are my fav by far