55 gallon overpopulation?

kbayer310

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2010
superior,wisconsin
to start off my daughter had gotten a fish tank and picked out a few fish 2 male pineapple swordtails and a pineapple female and a female guppy and someone gave her a male which i didnt know about till after they were in the tank which was a 20 gallon at the time.to make along story short i eventually had to aquire a 55 gallon to hold all theses juvenile guppies about 50 or so and 12 female swordtail juveniles.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Try aqadvisor.com/ and enter all the juvenile sizes of your fish. If your baby guppies are still very small, then your tank probably isn't that bad for now. However, those guppies will grow very quickly and I suggest selling 30 or so or getting a larger tank. Is your tank cycled? If your tank is not cycled, then it will take forever to cycle with that many fish in it.

kbayer310

Small Fish
Apr 15, 2010
superior,wisconsin
ok thanks for the link,and the tank is cycled i didnt add the first batch of fry for serveral weeks and just kept adding since then up until my last adult male and female guppy died there were over a hundred if not more including the swordtail fry and all around the same size close to a inch i would guess.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
The first thing a fish keeper needs is a liquid test kit. I recommend buying them if you want to keep the remainder of your fish alive. How in the world did you cycle the tank without a test kit? Post an add on craigslist or see if you can give them away to your fish store for credit or as snacks for their larger fish.