55 gallon stand project (56k beware)

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I had a free weekend so I finally so I decided to dust off my safety glasses and build a stand for my 55 gallon tank. the homemade stand it came w/ had no real support, isnt enclosed, and is a little short for me (only 24" high). I'll update this thread as my work progresses.

final materials list*:
(5) pieces of 2'x4'x8' wood
(3) 3/4"x2'x4' plywood panels
(2) 1"x2"x8' planks of pine
(1) 3/4"x2'x4' fiberboard
(1) 50-pack 2 3/4" wood screws
(2) 2-pack self-closing hinges
(1) 8' outside corner molding
(1) 32oz can of semi-gloss black paint

*some wood/hardware are scraps I find around the garage and are not listed in the official shopping list. I encourage using scraps to save money and to recycle old wood.

went to lowes and got 5 pieces of 2x4x8. was surprised a 8' long 2x4 could fit into my tiny corolla. then I cut them down according to my plans (the miter saw is now my favorite power tool). the stand will fit a standard gallon tank. approx. 48.5" wide, 13.5" deep, and 30.75" high.

put it all together using 2.5" screws. used about 50 of them. this part took me the longest because I bought the cheapest 2x4s and they were a little warped. needless to say, I spent a good amount of time bending wood into place to get drilled. lesson learned: spend the extra dollar per piece for good 2x4s.

put on a 3/4" plywood top w/ 1"x2" support railing (looks like molding). almost bought a 3/4" particle board for the top (much cheaper) but I learned my lesson on buying cheap wood. also put on bottom shelf using scrap 1/4" plywood (left over from the side panels).

put on side 1/4" plywood side paneling. used 2x2's found around the garage on the sides (visible in the 3rd and 4th photo) as support.

**UPDATE 8/10**

used 4 beams of 2x2s to add support for the front panels. I realized later after putting on the front panels that I should've put another 2x2 beam on the outside corners. oh well =P

cut 1/4" plywood panels to size and nailed them to the front. since the 2x4s were a little warped the dimensions aren't perfect so each panel was cut to fit. it took a long time and there are still tiny gaps between some of the panels, but I used wood glue/filler to fill them in. also, halfway through I realized I made a design flaw, but I'll leave that for you to guess.

**UPDATE 8/12**

used fiberboard (a little denser than particle board) for the doors. I didn't think my routers skills were good enough to try and make a fancy edge so I just left it square. I also nailed some corner molding to cover up the ugly plywood butt-joints.

took off the doors and gave everything 2 coats of semi-gloss black latex paint. I know its been drying for only a few hours but the paint seems really fragile and easily scratched. hopefully, it'll toughen up as it dries overnight. I also decided not to attach the chrome handles. I like the sleek look without them better. important lesson learned: blank paint covers a lot of little mistakes

well that's all there is to it. the total price came out more than I would've thought for a DIY stand (around $80) but at least I know its tough as rock and could easily hold twice the weight its intended to. ikea ain't got nothing on me!

Last edited:

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
Looks very nice, precise, and proffesional. Be sure to snap pictures while you finish it all up. Thanks for sharing, it should look pretty sharp when its all finished. *thumbsups

Andrew