55g tank stocking.

djk0379

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2005
Just wondering if anyone thinks I could add some more neons or some other tetras in this tank.
Currently I have 4 neon tetras, 3 black skirted tetras, 3 serpera(red) tetras, 3 lemon tetras, 4 pristella tetras, 5 corys, 1 common pleco and 1 clown pleco.
Think maybe 5 more neons would be ok? what about another type of tetra, maybe build on the other ones a bit?
Thanks.

djk0379

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2005
Ok, I was just following the 1 inch per gallon rule and I'm almost or am maxed out going that route. I just figure that whats in there currently just doesn't seem to "fill" the tank too much. I don't want to majorly overstock, but just want some schooling type activities to go on. I started with 6 neons, but 2 died in the cycling process "did the fish cycle" actually all the fish in there all in during the cycle (I know, not good, but didn't know better).
So I figure that losing 2 fish (neons) isn't too bad considering the battle with the super high nitrites I had for about 2 weeks.
So you think I could probably do alright with 10-12 neons? should I go another route?
Thanks! :)

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Small fish are well under the average bioload that is based on the 1"fish/gallon rule of thumb. If all of your fish are neon tetras, then you could safely have 150 of them in a 55 gallon tank without being "overstocked". The 1"/gallon is based off of average bioloads created by "average-sized" fish. THere are lots of ways to get around the rule of thumb safely.
Light bioload fish is one way. (neons and other similar fish)
Live plants that eat nitrates is another way
Lots of extra water changes is another way

djk0379

Small Fish
Mar 12, 2005
Ok, well instead of adding more tetras, I went ahead and put in two powder blue gouramis in there.
I went to a different LFS and happened to come across these. So I guess that should probably about do it, unless kissing gouramis don't get too huge. It was a tossup between either the powder blue or the kissing ones.

Mar 8, 2005
Savannah
Delta's got it w/ more fish. More fish are ok (neon size/guppy/mollies, ect) I've got a 10 gal plantes w/ probably 20 fish, but they're all smaller fish, and I've got plants and do 20% water changes weekly. Plants and good filters help w/ heavy loads, also concider a bubble wand/ pump. Those put a little more water in the tank. Definately add more to that tank, a 55 w/ a handful of neons does look empty. ;)

foty89

Medium Fish
Mar 1, 2005
Binghamton, New York
It is a good thing that you did not get the kissing fish, because you could kiss the rest of your fish goodbye. They get up to a foot and would have a feast with your little tetras.

It is not that they are aggressive, but if you give them an easy meal like that, any fish will take it.

Mar 8, 2005
Savannah
LOL those kissing fish are awsome when they grow up though. My girlfriend's mother has one, it's about 8-9". It held it's ground against a 10" pacu. Good fish for a large tank, they take a long time to get big though (a good few years to get from 4" to 8").