55gal and tiger barbs?

rshxt9

Large Fish
Sep 18, 2006
rolla, missouri
I would NOT put a gourami with barbs! Especiall not tiger barbs! That's a carnage video waiting to happen! Choose a less agressive barb breed, or something more agressive than a gourami that can keep up with the aggressiveness. Tetras may be ok...

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think a gourami would be fine. The gourami likely wouldn't bother the barbs as they're too fast and if you get a large enough school of barbs, they will just keep to themselves and not bother the gourami. The gourami may set up territory somewhere, but would most likely not be an issue with a semi-aggressive stock. Something on the bottom would be fine too, cories or some type of loach would be good. Clowns might be too big as they like schools and get very large, so you'd need more than one.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Just thought I'd chime in...
Years ago, I saw at least one larger tank at the LFS in which there were several moderate-sized opaline and gold gouramies in with a pretty big school of tiger barbs. There was also a red-tailed shark in there. None of the fish appeared to pay much attention to one another---aside from the occasional nipping amongst the gouramies. All fins looked good, etc.

What happened to your CA cichlid idea?

BV

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
BV,i still have not decided on what to go with?I cant make a decision?The cichlid tank is still the best idea so far but i just thought i might through some things out here and see what i like?Thanks for the help!I think ill go with a group of cories for a bottom fish if i decide to go with this idea but i would highly doubt it.Unless some one can convince me?

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If you're really wanting tiger barbs, there are certain cichlids you could keep in with them.

Do you have a particular cichlid in mind that is a must-have for you...I mean, you probably have a lot of 'must-have' cichlids...but could you narrow it down at all?

If so, I'd base everything else around that choice.
If you can't narrow it down, then I guess it's back to the drawing board. :cool:

BV