55gal saltwater price

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
I will be setting up a new 55 soon and was wondering what the minimal cost to seutp a saltwater 55, just want to know all my options, although ill still probably go africans. btw does not need to be reef, fish only would be great, price permitting suggestion of articles and such to read would be helpful, ive got atleast a month before its setup so i have plenty of time to research and i have lots of experience with fresh and brackish

Last edited:

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
For reef, nuthing less then $50 a gallon.. for fish only, you could prolly get away with 2-300 ifyou had the tank and filter already. You also happened to pick a goo day, I'm feeling extremly generous today, and will share my vast wealth of links with you, although, im pretty limited on anything over like 10 gallons, so they might not all pertain to something as large as a 55 gallon.

http://www.masla.com/reeftheory.html
http://www.garf.org/news6p3.html

Hmm.. thought i had a few more thne that.. anyway, should be enough to get you started, good luck with it! and Keep us posted on how it turns out.

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
Knowing that your a little advanced in this hobby, I can safely assume that your beyond the cheap budget setups. As you already know that saving a little now just costs you more in the end.

So with that in mind your going to be using good equipment for reef or for fish only. The primary difference here is going to be lighting. So the best way to go is to get a tank with a built in overflow. as that will easily save you some quick money cause a GOOD hob overflow will cost you over $100. Other than that just get the water in the tank and figure out how you want to stock it as you go.

As for price. That depends on the tank you choose. Its saltwater, so you can spend as much as you can imagine on an awesome tank. or you can just have a simple glass tank with salty water in it. But Im pretty sure you have a tank in mind since your already set on the 55g size. Best bet is to buy used.