65 Gallon Tank

May 26, 2007
I got a 65 gallon tank for mothers day and am ready to begin setup.

The tank was used so I need to clean it but not sure what to use or if it matters what i use.

Also I want real plants and would appreciate advice on the best bottom base for promoting living healthy plants.

It is hexagon taller then wider if that matters in any way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Depending on how dirty the tank is, I would suggest either just a good rinsing with water or water and vinegar. Don't use dish soap or any other kind of soap because if any soap residue is left in the tank, it will kill your fish. I would highly suggest you read up on cycling and setting up a tank. Check out the link in my profile or do your own search on the internet. Welcome to the tank!

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
Welcome to the tank fish mom! A 65g Tall Hex is a fantastic Mother's Day present! I agree with Miss Fishy, make sure you read up on Cycling your tank, if you don't already know how to. Hot water and Vinegar are the best ways to clean a tank. If you have really hard to get off white deposits, there are a couple of aquarium safe products you can purchase at any decent fish store. Lime Off is a decent one. Just make sure you rinse the aquarium really well after using vinegar or any other product.

Just a little suggestion for aquascaping your tank. Since it's a tall tank, you might want to consider building part of the base up. I've seen some really beautiful Hex's with the bottom section layered upwards towards the back of the tank.

You don't need a special substrate for a planted tank, so long as you provide your plants with enough nutrients through fertilization. However, if you want to start the tank out with planting in mind, there are several substrates out there designed for the planted tank.

Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products: Drs. Foster & Smith Pet Supplies

This is a fantastic website, you can look up substrates. They also only charge shipping on the total amount of you purchase, NO extra for heavy items like 20lb bags of substrate!

Once again welcome to MTF, hope to hear more from you!

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Is it a glass tank or an acrylic tank?

If its acrylic, use nothing but Novus Polish. Anything else can ruin your tank.

If its glass, then the above statements work perfect. I also like to use a bit of bleach IN VERY VERY VERY small amounts to disinfect anything that could of grown in the tank while moving it dry.

DO NOT USE BLEACH WITH ACRYLIC, it will turn it white.

Scratches in acrylic? Novus again, and some 5000 grit wet sand paper, it will get rid of them np. Ill try to find a post I made a while ago with the Novus polish I used for my Truvu I picked up from Craigslist. It came out perfecto!

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
CLICK HERE

Found it :)

You can purchase it online, or at any Tap Plastics. I'm pretty sure they ship as well. Its all silcone based, and it worked wonders. If you have a drill and a buffing pad, it works even better. Just make sure its clean of any chemicals before you use it. Tap plastics sells those as well.