75 GAL + setup question?

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
I have been doing a lot of reading and am interested in getting a 75 gal. to 125 gal. setup. However the one area that I am confused about is what filter to get. I am not sure on what fish I am going to put into the tank, just that I am probably going tropical, warmer water fish.

I have read for a 75 gal. that the Emperor 400 is a good system but not enough by itself? I am leaning towards the 75 gal. because this will be my first tank, not sure if bigger is to big?

I have also read that anything over 75 gal. is going to need a canister filter, but what kind and is that enough by itself or does it need a secondary filter?

I would like the best for the $$$ and I see the canister filters can get pretty pricey. I am also a little concerned about the noise, it will be in our living room - with TV - is either of these louder than the other or is it no big deal?

Thanks for all the help!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'd go with one or two canisters. I run a Fluval on my 40 gal. very quiet once it gets going. in fact the DIY CO2 is louder than the filter *laughingc

I also run an Eheim ecco on a 10 gallon. as you can see just because you have a lower tank size doesnt mean you cant use a canister.

They can get pricey but you get what youre paying for. Eheim and Fluval are among the best. there are other more expensive ones that intergrate a heater within the filter. i'd imagine theyre very useful and those have gotten the best reviews.

If you dont care about growin live plants (offgassing CO2/ creating massive current with HOB filters) then go for the emperor or aquaclear series. there are other good HOBs, but those are some that come to mind. best to run more than one for a bug tank like for the 125 gallon

The canister filters give you more control over the flow output.

Be sure to get a filter rated for your gallon capacity. its best to get more than less.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
Always get as big of a tank set up as you can go. You'll always want bigger once you get in to it. Bigger is better, because of the water volume things happen slower and you can do more with it. However the complete set up can get expensive.

Canister filters can hold a lot more media and are more efficent at filtering. I have a fluval 404 on my 75 and it does a decent job cleaning up after my messy turtle. Depending on brand and quailty i've heard some are more quite then others. But either way it is hidden under the cabnit. As long as your tank size is on the lower end of the filter tank rating you will be fine.

Some times and extra power head on bigger tanks can help keep debri stirred up to get filtered out. Figuring out what you want to keep and tank set up is helpful. What type of tropical fish, planted or not.

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
Agreed, bigger is better when it comes to keeping for fish for all the reasons mentioned above.
IMO - short of a sump set-up, go for a good quality cannister.
I have an Eheim classic 2215 running on my 68G that does just fine. It would do a 75G but I would step it up to a Eheim classic 2217 for anything larger than 70G. From what I know of filters, especially cannisters, Eheim & Fluval are the only ones worth investing the money in....(remember thats just my opinion)

blamejames

Medium Fish
Oct 19, 2009
i would go either rena xp3 canister filter i think you can pick one up for around 140 if you surf the web for some sales! that should be sufficient all the way up to 120 i believe! that is what i use and it works like a champ! whatever you do do NOT get fluval there is a good reason why they sell parts for them lol!

blamejames

Medium Fish
Oct 19, 2009
eheim also makes quality filters that is what my parents use on there setup however i think they are a little more expensive regardless they are both solid filters and have been around forever!

JRB__

Large Fish
Oct 24, 2009
Australia
eheim also makes quality filters that is what my parents use on there setup however i think they are a little more expensive regardless they are both solid filters and have been around forever!
Personally I only ever use eheim, they way I look at it is, they have been around from the beginning, Gunther Eheim invented the canister filter, that says it all...

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
From what i have herd fluval is not the best but I've had mine for about 3 years and all i have had to change out is the rubber O-ring and that is because i open mine a lot cause of my messy turtle. My dad has had one for 6 years or so and has onlt had to replace the ceramic shaft for the perpeller that broke while cleaning. he hardly opens his so the O-ring has stayed in better condion.

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
i would go either rena xp3 canister filter i think you can pick one up for around 140 if you surf the web for some sales! that should be sufficient all the way up to 120 i believe! that is what i use and it works like a champ! whatever you do do NOT get fluval there is a good reason why they sell parts for them lol!

Ok, so I am leaning toward the larger tank with a canister filter, but would 1 canister be enough if its the right size? I have heard you still need more than 1 filter for a big tank?

This might be a dumb question but the filter needs to be changed how often for a canister (average) and how much does that cost?

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I's all going to depend on what and how much in in there. If the filter is rated for 80-100gal. tank and you have a 100 gal tank it will work if on the lighter side of stocked but if you have going to be closer to the heavy side of stocked as most end up you want to be on the lower end, filter rated for 80-100gal. and you have a 75.

If you are going with small tropical fish then you will for sure be fine, if you get something like a messy Oscar you need to have a better filter.

Figure out just what you want to stock and how much, then find a canister filter in your price range and we can give some advise on if you seem to be going in the right direction.

Nothing in the filter really needs changed, if you run carbon (which you probably don't need) then that needs changed out every few months. But mostly what is going on in there is mechanical filtration from floss or sponges which can be rinsed out depending on dirty your tank is. I do mine like once a month but i have a messy turtle, my dad goes a few months cause he has little tropical fish. Also there is biofiltration, which is where nitrafiying bacteria live, some sort of poruse material like ceramic pieces. This part can be rinsed less often depending on how much stuff getts stuck in it, this must be done in dechlorinated water, most do it in old tank water durring water changes. You do not want to hurt the bactria going in this area.

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
found a deal on Craiglist for a 125 Gal. setup (see pic) it includes the Tank, 2 - 36" lights, black stand, sand or gravel, Eheim 2250 canister filter with optional disconnect valves (no idea what the valve does?)

The tank does have a few scratches on its front (can it be rotated so the back is front or no?)

Does this sound like a good deal for $400.00 ?

I was hoping to get a wood grain tank and stand to match my furniture but everything I have seen is either black or light to medium wood colors. My furniture is like a redwood, dark color. The person that is selling this also told me that the 2 doors are very small and the Eheim 2250 has to be installed from top before the tank goes on and its not easy to move around inside. Will this be a problem to do any maintenance on the filter or no big deal?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
eventually youre gonna wante to disassemble everything the filter and clean it out with tank water. it doesnt have to be more often than 2-3 times a year, but this means youll have to TAKE IT OUT. and thats the porblem since you have a 1000lb tank sitting ontop of it. (random number)

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
eventually youre gonna wante to disassemble everything the filter and clean it out with tank water. it doesnt have to be more often than 2-3 times a year, but this means youll have to TAKE IT OUT. and thats the porblem since you have a 1000lb tank sitting ontop of it. (random number)

so its best to keep looking for a stand with a filter I can take out then? Most Canister filters would fit out the stand doors right?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
They should...you can try tunning a few smaller canisters, but it might get too hecktic rather than a big one. you'd need to get more than one for that size tank anyway, i would assume.

billswin

Small Fish
Nov 2, 2009
ok I found a real nice 75 gallon tank, stand and entire setup for $125 just needs to be re-finished (the stand).

My question is that it comes with a Whisper Power Head which the top rated one only supports up to 70 gallon. It seems like a real cheap brand. I am thinking of either replacing it or using it and a canister filter. If I use this filter and buy a Rena XP2 rated up to 75 gallons would this be enough?

Should I just get a larger canister filter and get rid of this Whisper or is 2 filters better? I really like the Rena XP's from everything I have read.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
run the two filters. thats what i think you should do. remeber that the gph rating of each filter is only rated for the empty filter itself. the gph actually decreases as you add the filtration media to the filter. just keep that in mind when calculating how much gph you need for this tank (and that depends on the fish youll be housing) See how much gph you need and end up with and then check if you really do need a thrid filter or need to replace the old filter with something...