75 gal tank

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
I am starting a new 75 gal tank and I was wanting to know what should I for substarte.

1. Carib Sea Reef Sand

2. Carib Sea Aragamx Sand

3. Carib Sea Aragonite Alive Sand

How many inches of substarte should I have? I fgured 60 lbs at 3 inches thick. I have a 29 gal salt right now and what I had in mind to do is to use one of the above products as my fist layer and take the crush corals that I have in the exsiting tank and put it on top. I am planning to have some inverts, live rock, and fish (tangs, triggers, clowns, etc) in this tank.

For filteration I going to use a EMPEROR 400 FILTER with 2 powerheads. I going to add corals later and I want to make sure that I have everything in order so there is a very good biological filter going. Any suggestion or opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
USe a mix of bagged live sand and dead oolitic sand to save money. USe 4 inchs if you want denitrafying to take place, 1 inch if you are going to deal withit another way, like a sump DSB (Deep Sand Bed).
If I lived in Hawaii I think I'd use beach sand too (if it was legal), and maybe collect my own live rock...
I would rely on the live rock and a skimmer for fitration and just keeper the emporer running empty in case I needed to put carbon in it or polyfilter. DOn't use it fir biofiltration.
If you want to keep inverts you won't be keeping triggers.....

How is your 29 going, how long have you had it. If you're going to do a 75 do a lot of reading of the usual books else you might waster a lot of money

Newhobby

Small Fish
May 19, 2003
Visit site
My 29 is going great. I have to say this hobby is not as hard as I thought or have heard. Expensive yes but well worth it. I am enjoy alittle piece of nature right in my front room. Right now I have 2 Clarki Clowns 1 Coral banded shrimp, 1 flaming scallop, had a Damsel but got suck up in the powerhead. Could someone give me a good link to this oolitic sand that Wayne has mention. My main goal in this tank is for it to be self seficient at cleaning.