82* ?

MidSSouth

Large Fish
Mar 18, 2005
Memphis, TN
My 135gallon is running around 82* which is nearly 4* higher than room temperature. Lights on or off doesn't seem to affect it. If I open the glass top and the canopy it drops it to about 80. Short of turning off one of my filters or dropping the AC is there anything I can do to keep the water cooler? Is 82* too high for most tropical fish? Right now I am still cycling so it isn't too much of an issue.

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
If the time does come, and you need to cool it down, you can try setting up a fan where it blows over the surface of the water. One could also put a zip-lock bag of ice in (You can also freeze a bottle of water and float it).

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Do you have a heater on the tank? Sometimes they heat more than the gauge says its set at....

But I agree that 82 shouldn't be a problem for most fish...some shrimp might have an issue with it...

Also...even after/if you figure it out your cycle will go faster with the warmer water anyway :)

Sep 8, 2005
My tank was at 84 degrees for 2 months due to the extremely warm summer we had and my fish were okay with it. I did float frozen water bottles daily in my oranda tank though.

Masta cheef, i tried that alt +0176 and it did not work.