A ?? about my MH Lights

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I was thinkin about not using my MH because I don't have any SPS corals in my tank and to just use my T5 lights until I get some sps corals. The reason was because I figured that either my zoas and polys were getting to much light or that the MH were heating the water to much and that might be the reason the Zs and Ps weren't putting out any babies. I asked my lfs about my theory and he told me to just split the 6 hours a day that I was running my MH in half. He told me to do this: start off in the morning with the T5s than an hour later have the MH come on for three hours tnen the T5s for a few fours then the MH for another three hours then the T5s for the rest of the day until the evening when the white T5s go off about an hour before lights out and only the blue T5s would be on for that last hour and they would go out and only the blue LED lights would be on during the nite. Now for my question: One of my three MH bulbs went out yesterday and I am really thinkin about not replaceing it at this time and just going with the T5s until sps corals are bought and put in my tank, which might be a few months away. Anything wrong with my thinking, would this be alright or do I need to replace the MH bulb at this time and continue to use them? By the way, the advice from my LFS, is something that I was doing until the bulb went out.

Last edited:

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
the bulbs in yur t5's are actinic no? how many t5's you got over the tank? even without sps personally id stick with the mh for better growth.... i dont think too much light is yur problem tho! refresh my memory tho what size tank/lighting?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Its a 125g tank, six foot long by ??? lol. I have 4 T5 lights going across the tank. Two of the lights are a bluish color to them, and the other two are white. They both are on at the same times except for the first half hour in the morning and the last 45 mins. before lights out. I was just thinkin if the MH weren't really needed for growth of my zoas and the T5s would do, I would just use the T5s and save my bulbs for when I get the SPS corals. Just a thought.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I will order the bulb from Premium Aquatics today. I also have another question: I am wanting to get a Calcium Reactor for my tank upgrade (which is a ways off) If I were to order a CR for the size tank that I am wanting to get, say a tank that is in the 250g range, not counting the sump. Would I be able to set this CR up to my 125g tank or would it be to big for a 125g tank?

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Let me clarify this question: I know when you buy a skimmer, you go by the size of your tank, are CR the same way or is it one size fits all?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
if yur not keeping sps than a calcium reactor isnt needed what so ever.... you dont wanna get a cheap one and a good one can cost $600+ !!! if yur just looking for a source to add and maintain your calcium/alk than just get a kalk reactor for a fraction of the price ;)

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I am looking to get a CR for my larger tank down the road, but I was thinkin about using it in my 125g tank now or setting up a frag tank, so that I could start growing my frags now, lol. I got the MH bulb ordered today, I think, Don't ask, this company I ordered from, sometimes they are a pain. How hard can it be, I told them what I wanted and they sent me an E Mail saying the sent at no charge 3 reflectors and a bulb that is not a Hamilton, thats what I have and thats what I ordered, geez. They are going to call me tommrow and I hope we can get this straight. I also ordered a GOOD Nitraite test kit, I think, its a

Salifert Nitrate Test low & med scale 50 tests: Premium Aquatics

This is the CR I was looking at

GEO 618 Calcium Reactor Deluxe Package with Tank: Premium Aquatics

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Hey, ifs its good enough for you, its good enough for me, and its a whole lot cheaper. I will try and do some more reading on it, as I am in no big hurry to get it. Thanks for the advice.