A bottom feeder thats possibly friendly with a Betta?

Water

Small Fish
Apr 25, 2006
USA
I figured out what was my problem before,fix it and now I have a Betta fish(male) and two Mystery snails in my 10gal tank.I was wondering are there any other types of fish or bottom feeders that I can possibly put in my tank without there being a WWE match between it and my Betta?.

I was thinking no,outside maybe some ghost-shrimp but if theres possibly something else,please let me know.

Thanks

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
You can get some cories or kuhli loaches. I have 6 kuhli loaches in my 10g community. My male betta gets along with all of those fish in my sig. Also, it depends on how much filtration you have. Kuhli loaches are $2 each at petsmart and will do great in a 10g. They only get to be about 4" long and as great bottom-dwellers/scavengers.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Most bottom feeders will work with a betta. Cories, and like kiara said, khulis, are both good options. I wouldn't reccomend the ghost shrimp, because they tend to be more aggresive and I've heard stories about them chewing off betta fins. If you do want shrimp, cherries or amano would both work.

GooGirl

Large Fish
Nov 20, 2012
Walla Walla Washington
Be careful when you put any in, though. Watch them carefully because every betta has a different temperament. If he flares up his gills and turns a bright color, don't worry. As long as he doesn't attack them.

When I first put my betta in with thew other fish, he flared up his gills and fins, and turned neon! He never attacked the fish, and eventually learned that they weren't a threat. Not all bettas will do that, though. Some will barely notice the extra company, and some will immediately attack the other fish.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have had bettas with platies, mollies, and otos with no problems, but as everyone says, it depends on the fish - and not just the betta. IME bettas tend to defend rather than be aggressive. I also find that bettas in a community tank are more active than when alone and use the whole tank which really adds to their beauty.

Apr 1, 2006
South England UK
Good replies there. I agree with all, i've had bettas with a lot of different bottom feeders and i've never had a problem. Any plecostomus will be fine but the only one you may want is a Dwarf Species like a Bristlenose. Theyre cute, funny and very hardy and dont contribute 'too much' to the bioload of a community tank. I'd only get 1 or 2 though. If you get 2 you may wish to upsize tank in future to prevent the need for extra maintenance as when they get big they can be little poop machines.... Just saying ....:)