A Coral question

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I was looking at the corals at LiveAquaria (just wishing lol) and they have a web page for aquacultured corals, maricultured corals, and just a plain SPS corals. I was wondering what what the differance in these are, they more or less look like the same corals. I am guessing aquacultured means raised in the ocean or wild harvested, I don't know what the other two are.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Aquacultured corals are grown in tanks. Maricultured corals are grown in managed areas of the ocean. The others are most likely wild-caught.

I tend to buy aquacultured or maricultured when I can. Not only is it less damaging to the reefs, they also tend to be hardier, IMO. The aquacultured ones were grown in tank conditions, with tank lighting, so generally make an easier transition in your tank. And, if I kill one, I don't feel as guilty.

Some of the LiveAquaria corals come with a 30-day guarantee. I bought a bunch of aquacultured corals from them a couple of years ago, and they're still all going strong.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the answer. I didn't think about the ones being grown in a tank as being easier to transition into your tank, and have a better chance of living. Those sound like the ones for me, lol, need all the help I can get.