A few questions.. how high to fill tank, and what to do if my tank is leaking...

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
My heart just stopped when I looked at my 55 gallon because there was a water mark on one side of the bottom.. I did a 25% water change earlier today and maybe I didn't wipe all the water away but where it's leaking is completely opposite of the side I was working on... So it may be leaking and I'm freaking out.. What do I do???

It is a planted tank.. Fairly new plants.. a few fish in it... Would I have to empty it out, and re-cycle it after I put silicon around it?? What silicon do I use.. The one I have suggests not to use in 30+ tanks. I'm really worried.. I just dried the area right now and I'm going to wait a few minutes to see if it's leaking..

Also in the new tank I was wondering how high can you fill the tank? Right now it is 1 inch below the edge of the glass on top. This tank is in my room and it's kind of irritating how loud the water is, but I don't want to overfill the tank. Could I put something underneath where the water falls? Or can I fill the tank to almost the tippy top (at the edge of the glass but not to where it's touching the wood part.. Sorry my posts are so long.. I thought I knew how to care for fish until I found this forum... thank you for the help

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I thought my tank was leaking once, it was just condensation though. Keep a very close eye on it. And an eye on your water level in the tank.

I personally have a 29G about a foot from my bed. I fill it up to where ever the filter makes the least noise cause it drives my nuts too.

What kind of filter are you running? Does it not have a lip that goes down into the water?

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
Yes it has a lip, but unless I put the filter on the front side of the tank (which looks really ugly...) there is a shelf behind the tank that raises the filter about an inch.. It is sitting on the shelf because it does not go behind the tank.

I bought the filter from walmart, it is called the aquatech 30-60... Should I get a different filter? I'm sure people here probably have better filters than I do.. Can you tell me if petco or petsmart has a better filter? Sometimes I think this one isn't all that great..

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
I haven't used the aquatechs so I couldn't tell you. I see what your problem is thought cause the water's falling so far it is really noisey. maybe you could put something under where the water falls to soften it.

You do need some clearance between the lid and the water 1 to stop jumpers and 2 to feed the fish especially surface eaters.

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
been there!! finding the leek is tough because its coming out at the bottom of the frame... I would reduce the water level as low as you dare takes the stress off the tank makes the leek easer to find as at least you can prop it up and tell at least which end it is ...

marvin

Large Fish
Jul 7, 2007
florida
boy is this gonna be a long thread .. whisper is the most quiet but falling water is falling water. marine land bio's are silent one inch from the top of the tank.. its a 55 gal move it away from the wall... if you use two whisper 40's you only need about two inches clearance.

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
I tried a Whisper.. two different times with two different sizes and it was noisy.. Noisier than the aquatech. I can't hear the aquatech running except for the water hitting but the whisper was definitely not quiet at all.. When I do the next water change I will push it as far up the the front of the desk as possible but I don't think the filter will fit behind it with the shelf jutting out. Man those tanks are heavy when they are filled up, is it even safe to move a 55 gallon by sliding it when it is half full?

IrishBull

Small Fish
Oct 2, 2006
The filter is only 45 dollars? And they ship.. I think I will go there... And I don't think you're going deaf I think i'm just hypersensitive to a lot of noises.. haha

edit: wow thank you for that website I see a lot of cool stuff I want!!