A good betta bowl?

cawah

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2003
USA
home.comcast.net
Hi! I decided to make a bowl for a betta for my mom's office.

Is this an okay size for a bowl? I didnt take pics of it according to other objects, but it's a fairly popular type of bowl I see.

http://certhy.mircx.com/stuff/a-bowl.jpg

Also, are these rocks okay to use? This is all I could find at home, but I'm afraid it may be a bit too "jagged" for the betta. If they are bad, I will buy some of the rounder pebbles.

http://certhy.mircx.com/stuff/a-rock.jpg
http://certhy.mircx.com/stuff/a-topview.jpg

I know that I have to buy a plant or something, but I just wanted to make sure that everything was okay so far.

Also, do I need a special dechlorinizer for bettas? I looked at betta kits in the store, but the packaging wasn't too detailed. I have the normal dechlornizer I use for my other tank, is it okay to use for bettas?

Hmm... I won't have a heater or anything for the betta, is that also okay? If it's not okay, then I won't buy the betta. Also, if I am forgetting something important, please tell me so I won't buy the betta.

Thanks so much!

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi Cawah,

Lets see, try to get a bigger bowl if you can. Your typical goldfish bowl is better (about 1 gallon) but you need to have some sort of top in order to prevent the betta from jumping out (oh ya they do that often). Some people use a CD as a bowl lid.

A better buy would be the 1/2 gallon betta bowl kits from Marina, they are sold with decorative colored rocks (blue, purple or green) an small tank with lid and some flake food and declorinator.

Any dechlorinator will do, same as regular fish tank stuff.

Bettas are tropical fish, but heaters are not necessary if the room temperature is fairly constant, and the tank water stays around 72 to 78F.

Try to get some pellet food (meaty) for the betta. HBH betta bites or Hakari Bio-gold are good brands.

Don't use those sharp rocks, they will tear up the bettas beautiful long fins.

Other than that, regular water changes (1-2 times per week for small tanks), no overfeeding and that's it!

cawah

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2003
USA
home.comcast.net
Hmm, thats what I figured, it seemed way too small and the rocks way too jagged, good think I asked to be sure! The bowl is really pretty even without a fish, I think ill just leave it like that for decoration! I wasn't too sure what was a good size - some sites say "1 gallon" others say "small areas", etc.

What I think is weird is that I bought that bowl for .50 cents at a craft store, and i saw the exact same thing (maybe a little thicker) at the petstore for 6.00! I will go search for a small tank first.

Thanks a lot, now I have an good idea of what I need to get. I'll be sure to show the finished product! =D

Mar 11, 2003
I see those bowls at Walmart at 77 cents and at petstores for about $5. IMO they are way too small for a permanant home, but I have to admit my jars are about the same size. The jars only hold small bettas though, that are waiting to be shipped. But it looks like you are on the right track :) by looking for a bigger tank. If you want to keep the bowl you can put a pretty aquarium plant in there, or a lily (minus the betta ;)) in that bowl.

Alexa