a little help?

Aug 8, 2004
Visit site
I just started my first saltwater tank about two weeks ago. My ammonia levels are a little high, about a 0.5. I have a 46 gal tank and it is holding three damsels (My nitrate and nitrite levels are low. pH is 8.2). Now my understanding is that high ammonia levels in a new tank is part of some cycle, should I worry? I did a couple of 25% water changes. is this neccesary or should i just wait it out, because arn't the nitrate levels supposed to raise or something to confirm bacteria growth? i dunno...help please. thank u.

Jul 25, 2004
val.textdrive.com
Ammonia spikes are perfectly natural when you're cycling your tank. But if it gets too high and you fish start reacting to it, I'd definitely do a water change like you did. I'd say you're about halfway through your cycling, normally cycling will take about a month from start to finish (unless you screw something up). When you're tank starts harboring bacteria, you'll know it because ammonia is the "food" for the bacteria, and your ammonia level will slowly decrease to 0 (or really close thereto). You'll know when it's safe to add fish when your ammonia levels drop.

But don't add all your fish at once -- add a few at a time, make sure the bacteria has time to adjust to the bioload before adding more after that.

I'd say overall you're doing a good job of cycling your tank. Just sit back for another week or two, and let the bacteria do the work, making sure to test the levels of ammonia every other day.