A Live Rock ?? sort of

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
When I fisrt got my tank I was planning on an SPS tank and I bought two pieces of, I will call it, fake rock, probley some sort of something that at one point was a liquid mixture of something that was poured into a mold to left to harden. The two pieces are I would say are about alittle over an inch thick and flat. My plan was to put these at the top of the tank and to mount some tabling Acropra to the top of these two rocks. My plans have changed and now I will have a Zoa and polyp tank and a few months ago I took one of these rocks out of the tank and its sitting in my shed. Before I took the rock out of my tank it was starting to color up nicely along with all the other LR in the tank. My question: I now have decided I want to put this piece of fake rock back into my tank and to mount polyps to it as I have done with the other piece of fake LR that I didn't take out of the tank. Do I need to take a wire brush to this piece of fake rock before I put it back into the tank, when I do put it back into the tank, will it cause a problem to either my fish or my polyps that I have in the tank? It seems that most of my polyps do better the closer they are to the lights in the tank and I want to put this rock back into the tank because its flat and I can mount alot of polyp frags to it and keep them close to the lights. Any thoughts on this. I just don't want to hurt anything I already have in the tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
shouldn't be a problem at all. The rock is essentially base rock and will populate and become live after being in your tank for a while. Brushing the rock with a wire brush will only dislodge any material that is still attached....and it may not be a bad idea as it will just clean the rock up before re-introducing it to your tank.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
LOL, Soooooo I go out to my shead this morning to get the piece of rock in question, couldn't find it anywhere. I paid my grandson $20.00 to clean out my shead, he needed some $$$$ for a date, I give him a call to see where he might have put it, he said I might have put it in the trash can, lol. I didn't figure you wanted that ole piece of junk rock. The shead was really clean, I just wanted to make him do something for the money, Oh well.