A Mushroom Question

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I didn't think they propagated this way, we will see what ya'll say about this. I got a green striped mushroom from someone that was attched to a tiny tiny tiny piece of LR. I glued the mushroom to a larger piece of live rock that was already in my tank. About an inch away from the mushroom a baby mushroom of the same kind is starting to grow and about 1/2 inch from that baby another baby is starting to grow, they are both about the size of a pencil eraser. I thought the only way they propagate was sither they split or I had to split them to make them grow another one. Enlighten me.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
ricordia split but mushrooms spread like this.... now if you wanna frag one you can cut it in half or what ever but watch in a year itll be a full colony!

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
How do mushrooms do it? The reason I am asking is the babies are an inch or so away from the parent mushroom. Do they put out a spore or something that settles onto a rock somewhere in the tank and start growing? Just curious.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The will send out threads sort of like roots. you may not see them. These small mushrooms can detach themselves and float away to attach elsewhere in your tank where you least want them....