A New Direction

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Ok, so considering I have lost the majority of my fish, I am thinking of perhaps a new direction for my tank. I still have my ABF, 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 Dwarf Gourami, and 2 Black Skirts. My question is what kind of little critters can I keep with these particular fish? I know frogs and shrimp and crayfish. Are there any other small amphibians? The thread about the axolotl really got me thinking. I don't want one of those though since they recommend not having tankmates with them I still want to keep my fish.

Oct 4, 2005
Kentucky
I wouldnt keep shrimp with crayfish. The crayfish might eat the shrimp. You also might wait till someone with more info on inverts chimes in.

Might try some cherry barbs, some rainbows

Last edited:

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Yeah, I don't have my shrimp anymore. They have all perished along with the majority of my other fish. I don't want crayfish either. With as bad as they are about escaping I am afrid it might just be a small disaster waiting to happen with my little girl :) I am leaning towards amphibians.

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
personally, I wouldnt put ANYTHING more in that tank for a looooooooong time until whatever problems have been going on in there are taken care of and the tank is stable...like in afew months imho

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Well aren't there a few amphibians that totally aquatic. I know of the dwrf frog, clawed frog, axolotl, and I read a fire newt, but I haven't done extensive research on them yet. I read also that axolotl don't like tankmates then I read somewhere that they did. So I don't know now.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I jst want to plan appropriately and know what I want and how to care for it whaen that time comes.

Titan, I have a 10 gallon also that I was considering a land/aquatic. Which do you think?

Oct 4, 2005
Kentucky
That will be a good. I would just make sure that you have a good top for it. Just make sure that you dont over crowd them. Keeping crickets for them are a pain in the butt. Especially when the closest place that sells them are 30 mins away from you

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I think the top and middle of your tank are pretty busy already with the three gouramies and the butterfly. You may want to consider some bottomdwellers. Maybe some small loaches -- kuhli or sid-the-monkeys (dwarf chains, botia sidthimunki). The black skirts would appreciate some friends but I think you should be careful about overstocking.

I wouldn't get any axolotls for a fish tank. If you'd like to try one in your spare 10, go for it, but don't put them with fish. Most amphibians need crawl out space, as do many "aquatic" inverts, so you would probably need to re-do your entire tank. It's hard to please everyone when you have quite a few animals who all have very specific needs in such limited space.

It's definitely a good idea to wait a few months before adding any more fish. :)