a new look at mollies

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
MARINE MOLLIES........

new? yes , new to the marine hobby as a break in fish and an algae control fish. these fish will eat just about anything that isnt living including hair and slime algaes. they arnt picky. i know this because i breed and sell them in my store and mail order. i have had people ask if my fish can go in fresh water like other mollies and the answer is no. all my fish are breed and born and raised in saltwater. the marine molly originated from freshwater mollies but have adapted and somewhat mutated to thrive in the marine environment. they do will in a reef or plant aquarium but must be kept with other dosile fish. they are a very hardy fish but they do not hold up well with aggressive or bullish fish. if you have questions that i have not answered . ask and ill try my best to tell you what you want to know.

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
Originally posted by saltwatermolly
MARINE MOLLIES........

new? yes , new to the marine hobby as a break in fish and an algae control fish. these fish will eat just about anything that isnt living including hair and slime algaes. they arnt picky. i know this because i breed and sell them in my store and mail order. i have had people ask if my fish can go in fresh water like other mollies and the answer is no. all my fish are breed and born and raised in saltwater. the marine molly originated from freshwater mollies but have adapted and somewhat mutated to thrive in the marine environment. they do will in a reef or plant aquarium but must be kept with other dosile fish. they are a very hardy fish but they do not hold up well with aggressive or bullish fish. if you have questions that i have not answered . ask and ill try my best to tell you what you want to know.

Attachments

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
Would it be possible for you to sell them as feeder mollies because I'm having trouble finding saltwater food for my lionfish since he insists on only eating live food?(And if you can could you ship them and how much would it cost)

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
i can't say that they are new to me.i am a big advocate of mollies in brackish and marine set-ups,not that the subject comes up often...so is there any diffirence between the common sailfin molie and this fish?i am under the impression that all mollies come from 2 types the sailfin mollie and the smaller black mollie.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
This is old. I thought it was easiest with black mollies, which are a hybrid 'species' (or not). Just get some black mollies and slowly increase salinity over the period of a week, though I think you can do it in less.
Apparently mollies have a physiology that's much more similar to marine fish which is they struggle in anything but very hard freshwater.
Why can't they move back to fresh

fonzie

Medium Fish
Dec 7, 2003
Visit site
When you first get the mollies do you put them in a aquarium with crushed coral as the substrate or do you put regular rock substrate like freshwater aquariums?Also what kind of ph do you use?