A Quarantine Tank Question.

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Hi all, I have a quarantine tank question, After helping my sister deal with her current Clown Loach ich problem (She lost one this morning) and after reading so many health issues with other owners fish (I've been reading the disease forum again), I was wondering about setting up my own quarantine tank. I have an old 10g in my closet (from my newt days), it's been there for years. It's all scratched up, and not real pretty, but it holds water like a champ and has a functional hood/light. Exactly what does one put in a quarantine tank? Do I leave it completely bare with no substrate, plants, hiding places? Or do I set it up like a traditional tank with filter, heater, air stone, lighting etc. Do I cycle it like a traditional tank? and when not acting as a hospital/quarantine do I leave something living in it? like a snail or oto or something?

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
It is up to you what you do with it when it is not holding quarantine fish. You can keep a few snails or something in it to keep it cycled (wouldn't recommend otos, I believe they are very sensitive to medications), or you can just use it when you need to quarantine. If you do the latter, however, it'd probably be best if you keep the filter in another tank when it's not in use. That way it'll keep the bacteria blooming and when you do use it for quarantine, you won't have a mini cycle.

You should have at least one item for the fish to hide in/behind. You don't want them to freak out and have nowhere to go. No substrate is probably the best way to go, that way you can easily keep it clean in between quarantines. You definitly need a filter, I don't think it matters what kind as long as it works. If you plan to also use it as a breeder, you'd be best to go with a sponge filter. Also, don't forget a heater since diseases are supposed to go away quicker in higher temps (or something like that).

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
For a QT tank you will want to get a filter that will run one one of your other tanks so it has bacteria growing in it. A heater Cause if you are treating for Ich you will need to raise the temp. No substrate is nice cause when you clean it out you dont have to clean all the gravel. Air stones are nice to have to up the O2 Content in the water. Hotter water dosent hold as much O2 as cold water dose. Since it is a 10G you can leave it empty and when you need to use it take about 5G from the tank you are QTing from and add 5G new water. Then add the filter and heater to bring it up to temp. Then add the fish you need to QT. Since the filter has been running on another tank you will have a mini Cycle. I am looking in to getting one.

MAHA

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Now if I'm going to QT a new fish that I purchase, do I want to use existing tank water or completely new water? I understand the concept of using existing water if your going to QT one of your cuurrent fish though.
Mahamotorworks said:
For a QT tank you will want to get a filter that will run one one of your other tanks so it has bacteria growing in it. A heater Cause if you are treating for Ich you will need to raise the temp. No substrate is nice cause when you clean it out you dont have to clean all the gravel. Air stones are nice to have to up the O2 Content in the water. Hotter water dosent hold as much O2 as cold water dose. Since it is a 10G you can leave it empty and when you need to use it take about 5G from the tank you are QTing from and add 5G new water. Then add the filter and heater to bring it up to temp. Then add the fish you need to QT. Since the filter has been running on another tank you will have a mini Cycle. I am looking in to getting one.

MAHA

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Cool, I'll pick up a couple penguin 150's (I need one for my 29g anyway) and they have room for 2 filters in each case, so I'll run my 29g with 1 Penguin 150 and put both filters in it, then pull 1 filter for for the other Penguin hanging on the quarantine tank if needed.

Thanks again MAHA!!