A sad way to come home :(

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I came home from traveling this weekend to find my second molly had passed away :(

She was one of our favorites, she would come to us every time we came up to the tank. My daughter is still looking for her... "Molly, where are youuu" :(

I just don't get why she would die. Not one fish in the tank bothers her, the H20 conditions are perfect, she couldn't of been in a healthier environment. Not one other fish in that tank has any problems, I do 50% WC's every other day, I don't know what I could of done wrong. I bought two molly's at the same time and one died the in the first couple of days. I thought this one would hold on because it’s been a couple of months, but I guess it was time for her to go. The last time I went to that LFS there were about three dead molly’s floating around that tank. I hope it was genetic and not something that could of spread to my other fish.

RIP MOLLY! :(

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i feel your pain, i woke up to a dead coycat and a missing otto cat yesterday morn, the corycats were perfectly fine and helthy, besided being run off every now and then by the bigger bumble bee catfish, and i have a feeling the bumble bee cat had something to do with the missing otto, they have a habit of eating anything they can fit in their mouths i have had my cories for about a year now and have never lost 1 until yesterday, have no clue what happened to him.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Is there anything I can do other than WC that would help the fish that are in that tank? Or do I have to just sit here and wait?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Without knowing what caused her death and with good water conditions, it really is hard to give you anything constructive to do. Sometimes creatures simply die. You have had her for a few months without any health problems so it isn't like there's anything one can pinpoint. Watch the other fish for any possible symptoms just in case.

Mollies can be funny -- they can be about as hardy as they come or very delicate. They're one of my favorite fish (just got some Honduran spot-tailed mollies the other day!) but they can be a bit tricky. I've kept them well in garden ponds and brackish tanks. They're very interactive fish for smaller trops. Find some nice, healthy ones, have your daughter pick a few out, quarantine them well and move on -- that's really all you can do.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Yeah I think that’s what I'm going to do. My QT tank is full of fish right now while I work on my 55G. Once that is done I'll bring her down to go pick out more fish. She loves going to the pet store, but she hates leaving. I don't think we have been there once without her crying when we left.

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I found it when I was doing a WC. It seemed like it died in my fake log and got stuck in there. When the water swooshed it around a bit she came floating to the top. :(