a trip to petco...

i went to petco for the first time, and saw a tank full of quality LR. i didnt have my money with me, so i came back the next day. i bought 26 lbs of rock, 2 hermits, and a snail. the LR has multiple feather dusters, and a few freaky slug looking things. the rock is also fully cured, they showed me the test results for the system that the LR was in, and the perameters read 0, 0, and 20 for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates respectively. i would have gotten a better cleanup crew, but i didnt have enough money. i have a total of about 34 lbs of rock in my tank now. my estimated total cost for this tank so far is $540, and i still need to get a litte hunk or LR for the fuge, some digging snails to keep the DSB stirred, macro, a skimmer, the rest of the stock, and a proper cleanup crew.

my lights are on order, and should be here by monday. heres what i got:
36" 2x96W Coralife Aqualight CF hood, 1x Actinic and 1x 10,000K, -Square Pin

what should i have for a cleanup crew total? right now i have 2 snails, and 2 hermits. and the LR is covered in tiny worms that peek out every so often.

i want to get a skimmer on here since i want to make a reef, and i think it would help me out a bunch. any reccomendations on what to get? i dont want to go really expensive, but i want something quality. i have about 6 inches on the side in the fuge area, and i think that should be enough room for a HOB skimmer... if not, i have room behind the tank.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
from petco...that place is a rip off...a hydrometer is $16 and i got the same thing off line for $6...and did u c there 160g IO? $64 wtf?

anyways how much did u get the live rock for? $17 for 3 lbs? cuz thats wat they were trying to sell it for over here...

umm.. okay... haha... my place that i usually go had lesser quality rock there, and they sold it for $5 a pound. i paid $7 and some change per pound at petco. their fish seemed reasonably priced to me, and they had a nice selection compared to a local pet stop which had crap for live rock at about $7 a pound. this rock is awesome, and i have no regrets paying that much per pound... seriously, covered in coraline, has like 10 feather dusters, has little worms living in it, came with a couple hitch hiker slug looking things... its some nice and porous stuff. they will most likely have me as a return customer.

i still have a couple questions though...

what should i have as a cleanup crew? i know... obviously snails and hermits... but how many of each? i suck at cleanup crew figuring.

and also, id like some skimmer reccomendations.

sorry about no pics maha, i still cant find my charger for the camera. i'll go look right now for you though :p