AAARRGGHHH.....can I pass this up?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
The owner of my LFS called me this morning at work (yes, they know me that well) to tell me that someone listed a 110 gal SW tank on their board. Want to guess the price???? $120!!!!!!. I haven't called yet to see what all is included with the deal, but it sounds as if it is set up and running right now, so I'm assuming it has a stand, powerheads/filters, skimmer etc. She said it even has corals in it right now.

I'm just starting to get the hang of planted tanks now, and I have never dabbled in the SW world, but I don't know if I can pass on this deal.

Would you all be willing to put up with a whole new batch of SW newbie questions?

Mike

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
sounds like a great deal...even the tank should be way more than that..I would take it and ask all the questions you want...110 is big enough that there will be some room for error.

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
OK then, first question before I go diving in there. Will I have to get a RO unit? My tapwater typically has specs of pH-8.0 KH-3 GH-4-5 Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 Phosphate-0. Would this be acceptable for mixing SW?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
No, I'm not sure. I'm still in the debate phase on whether to call or not. Could be a typo, or someone just really needs to get rid of it. I may have to go look at the ad in person. I don't wan't to sound like the dork that says "really... only $120?" and have them say NO WAY it's $1200

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
that price is outstanding if it really is a 110 running tank. If there is Live Rock included...thats even better. Live rock can run you $4 per lb up to over $10 per pound depending on the quality. Of course...if its just a SW tank because someone had salt water in it and they're giving up because they couldn't make it work...$120 bucks for a 110 gallon tank and stand with some equipment is still pretty darn good! What else...oh ask if any copper medications were used in the tank...because that can be very bad for a SW tank.

Edit: Dont forget they called and told you it was $120 it'd be their fault if its a typo...not yours! :) Go for it, its definitely worth a call.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Go have a look. But it will be worth at least 120 no matter even if it's a disaster zone. Just be aware if half the kit is rubbish it will cost you some to replace for example a skimmer or all the lighting.

But I would buy it.