About my 10 gallon tank(I know you guys have heard this all before)...

Ting

New Fish
Aug 3, 2007
I have a 10 gallon fish tank and will soon begin the cycling process without fish in it (MissFishy's page is amazing!). After that is finished though, I'm wondering what type of fish to have in this sized tank? I'm aware that even with a 10 gallon tank my choices are very limited and that I should follow the fish-per-gallon rule.
I was wondering if I would be able to place a butterfly koi in this tank or maybe even a red-tailed shark or a rainbow shark. I'm very attracted to these larger breeds. ._.;
Suggestions are greatly apprecited!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Welcome to the site.

For a small tank, you really need to get small fish. Anything with an adult size of less than 3" should be OK. Kois are not really suitable for tanks at all, they require large ponds. Red-tailed sharks will get to about 6" eventually, so also not really suitable. :(

Maybe go to the store or look through the profiles here to see if there are other fish that appeal to you. :)

Ting

New Fish
Aug 3, 2007
thank you lotus. I wasn't aware that the red tails grew to be so big o.o . I'll definately research some other species of fish. thank you for your help. :D

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I'm so glad you found it helpful! Just as Lotus said, those aren't really suitable fish for a 10g. There are tons of other options though, you can always post your stocking ideas here for some comments from people! :)

Ting

New Fish
Aug 3, 2007
It really is helpful MissFishy.

I was thinking of a dwarf puffer maybe, or maybe some danios. I also have a one gallon that I was considering buying a betta for.

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
ohh and remember its not a "one fish per gallon" rule its more of a "one inch of fish measured from head to end of tail per gallon" rule..this is very important with small tanks...and make sure you watch your water perimeters...do not just assume that you can dump all the fish in...you should do it slowly and constantly check the water perimeters to ensure that your filter can handle the new bioload...so add a couple one day...wait a few days or so check the water and if its good add a few more..ect