acceptable tank mates for a betta

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
what fish are acceptable tank mates for a bettas? i have a 5 gallon with a betta in it. any fish that go good with bettas? i have heard you are supposed to keep em alone but i have also seen people put bettas with other fish.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Usually all community fish are great tankmates for betta. We had a betta in a 10 gal tank with danios, cory catfish and tetras. We also had one betta with a red tail shark that used to put the shark in his place, if you know what I mean. I do believe that bettas like to be alone. My female betta likes her tank all to herself. Currently all our bettas are in bowls by themselves. :)

Sep 10, 2006
Denver, CO
I have my male Betta in a tank with Mollies, Swordtails, Gouramis, and a Rainbow Shark. They all get along just fine. My LFS is currently on an education kick about Betta's. When you go in their store, you do not see any Betta's alone or in a small tank. Any tanks that a Betta can go in with other fish, that's where they are. I think it's great that someone is doing this so we can get those guys into larger tanks with room to swim. Mine love to swim around with everyone else. Good luck!

Steven