add a male betta

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
I have seen others that add a betta to their aquarium.....I have a 46 gallon bowfront....9 platies (haven't updated the signature in a bit) and 1 algae eater......can I add a male betta or would he not do well?
thx in advance,

Firebug

Large Fish
Jun 15, 2004
Colorado
I'd say it would depend on what kind of algae eater you have. If it's a Chinese algae eater, I would advise against it, because they're agressive, and love to ruin fins.

sapphire

Medium Fish
Aug 3, 2005
mississippi
actually I think it is but he doesn't chase the sail fish platies......he was given to me, about 3" long and wouldn't have been a choice but here he is, anyway, he hides a lot of the time........thx

pillowchii

Medium Fish
Aug 1, 2005
yay! He'd like it in a 5 gallon. Yeah, a lot of what I see in a community tank situation is, anything that looks like (or in a lot of cases I've seen, anything prettier than) a male betta will get thwomped. I think they're horribly narcicisstic that way *wink*

I have a male betta and they do better in tanks with fish like tetras, and snails... or even a couple of african dwarf frogs! Don't listen to what some people say - they love lots of room to swim, mine is constantly active! :)
I wouldn't keep them with those nippy danios, guppies or anything else with LONG flowing fins, as they see them as competition... and will rip the others fins off... :)

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Personally, I don't like putting any bettas in community tanks. They are slower than most fish, so they can get nipped, and they can get very terrortial and aggressive, I've seen many a tetra missing an eye after someone added a betta to the tank.

Honestly, a single betta in a 5 gallon, slow-filtered, heated tank with tall plants to rest on is ideal. He has his own spot and no competition for food or constant nipping of other fishies.

TrpTwlght

Medium Fish
Jun 5, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.authorhouse.com
I agree you have to have the perfect set up of peaceful non-betta looking fish, in order for a betta to be okay. I disagree with Chazwick on the danio comment though, danios are too quick for a betta to catch. I've had mine together for a long time, and they do fine. Its easiest to just keep them in a their own tank like Iggy said. I have to spend a lot time 'checking up' on my betta when he's in my 20G. But he does seem to enjoy the space... when he's not getting hurt on something... or by someone. If you look at my signature though, all his tankmates right now are perfect companions for a betta in a community tank.