Add filter again....

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Why is the filter out? Do you mean the whole thing, or the filter media? If you took the filter out because the flow was too strong for your betta, you probably need to change the water a little more. What sort of water changes are you doing? how often, how much
With a film, I'd filter it with carbon, maybe.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Water Change

I agree, put the filter back in. If the filter is too strong, try doing a higher water change or do the same water change twice a week.

What aquarium is Flipper in? Is it the 2.5 Minibowl? Perhaps you want to upgrade Flipper to an Eclipse 3, the current is very gentle on these aquariums and the carbon and Bio-wheel keeps the water very clean. Plus Flipper gets a little more swimming room*BOUNCINGS

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
If you have a filter, I do not think you need to do a 100% water change. I do a 30% water change every week, clean the filter monthly & test the water every so often. I don't like to take any more then that as I do not want to imbalance the biological filter.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
OK

ninamarie said:
ok so say tomorrow i take out 1/2 the water add my filter and fill it back up(treat water too) and then add flipper back, then things should be ok
Yeah, that sounds fine, you can use a gravel vac to clean the gravel while taking out the water to keep phosphates and nitrates low.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I do 25-30% water changes weekly, vacuuming as I go. The vacuuming really helps with the water quality; all the decaying poo increases the ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. You can get a mini vacuum at W***mart for three or four dollars; that's the size you need and it's wayy worth the money. You will be glad you got it. It's just too easy to change the water that way.