Add more fish...?

Jan 3, 2009
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank with a 30-60 gallon filter. I currently have 4zebra danios, 3guppies, 4 ghost shrimp and 2 black kuhli loaches.

I want to add 2 more female guppies because i only have 1. With 2 males, that doesn't sound good.

Also i was thinking about getting 1 or 2 more danios. (so the ratio of danios and guppies can be matched)

My uncle also wants to add 1 more black kuhli loach.

OR

I could get 1 big fish like a dwarf gourami.

All my fish are happy, curious, playful and HUNGRY!

It has been 1 year *thumbsups im so happy they have made it!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd say you are right to be thinking of adding a couple more female guppies to correct that male to female ratio. Unfortunately when you add more females you will be getting more baby guppies so I might also go with your instinct to add a couple more danios. Danios will help keep the population of guppies down, especially if you feed less when there are babies. Be careful when you go to the store because most pet store people don't know how to tell the difference between a male and a female guppy...they just look at the colors.

If you want to add another loach as well it might be pushing it, but if you keep an eye on the water quality I think it would be ok.

While your filter is good...it doesn't make the tank any bigger, so what ends up happening is that you need to look at how much space the fish like to have to swim. I know my danios were all over the place constantly lol They like their space.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I learned that one loud and clear one of the first times I went to get guppies from my pet store. I asked for two females and a male and they said they only sell them in pairs or males alone...so I said ok and he bagged up what he thought was two males and a female. I got home and one that he thought was a male because it was pretty, was actually a female :D

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
no...that was kind of my point :) lol You need to look at the fins to be sure because there are some females that are very colorful. Generally they aren't quite as colorful as the males, but that isn't always the case.

Jan 3, 2009
OK, walmart didn't have female guppies but i got 2 female platties. The males are distracted from just that one female so i think she is a little more relaxed. They are kind of shy though. Will this go away after a while?

I also got 1 more danio. He is still young but he will grow. It is a long fin :)

Also with my danios, i often see them (i think there females) lying on the gravel. It scares me because i think their dying but then they start swimming again. Are they laying their eggs?