Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
the guy at the lfs...who i trust...
said to add salt to dago red's tank...
[full sad story on another thread]...
one teaspoon per 10 liters...

what do you all think ... ???

would it be ok for the 16 baby platties in there ... ??? ...
[they are about 5 weeks old...3/4 of an inch long]...

[tank is 3gallon [imp]...no carbon...small piece of polyfilter]

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Here I am again......Just wanted to say the aquarium salt would be fine for the platy's so you don't need to worry about that - Just don't know if it would help Dago.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Yes.Livebearers appreciate some salt.You can go to 1 for every 5 litres if you like.Just make sure it's proper tonic/aquarium salt and not table salt.That contains anti-caking agents and tuff you don't want.

What's wrong with the fish?

Sep 16, 2005
pure- i always felt that was the case, but didn't have the serious scientific know-how to back it up. thanks for the link.

aquarium salt in a fw setup just seems.... silly.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
Limi310 said:
Here I am again......Just wanted to say the aquarium salt would be fine for the platy's so you don't need to worry about that - Just don't know if it would help Dago.
hey hey...thanks for that...
i think dago may be too far gone...

i didn't know about 'aquarium' salt...
i do now... cheers .

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
TLH said:
Yes.Livebearers appreciate some salt.You can go to 1 for every 5 litres if you like.Just make sure it's proper tonic/aquarium salt and not table salt.That contains anti-caking agents and stuff you don't want.

What's wrong with the fish?
didn't know about the special salt...thanks for letting me know...

as for my fighter...
he got beaten up by a dwarf gourami...
and he's in a bad way...

full story on the 'betta close to death' thread...
[not a happy read].

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Something else may be better for wounds than salt.
I mostly use it for fungus and mold outbreaks.My Mollies would sometimes get white patches and a teaspoon or two of salt always cleared it up.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
Salt does have antiseptic/antifungal/antibacterial properties, but that doesn't mean it should be in a fw aquarium. There are other ways to handle the situations without introducing it.

As for its ich destroying uses, I'm taking that with a grain of the stuff. Truth is that method always calls for an increase of heat - and ich is said to die in heat above 86 degrees F. It could be the heat after all.