Added sand help

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
people just say leave it for a few days and it will start to clear up.

i noticed the coudiness clearing after a few hours but when i turned on my power head everything kick up again and im back to where i started...

when wil this coudy thing dissapears completely? im using Live Sand so i cant really rinse it.

i was thinking about getting a prefilter on both my powerheads. but dont know anything else. help?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i can have the powerheads on? im aiming them upwards (cuz they said that creates the most flow)

and do i add more salt since the sand absorbed a lot of it?
my SG is down to 1.018 now

heat is slowly raising 74.9 now

my strip testing kit suxs big time...the air around me is contaminating the nitrate and nitrite (air is made up of 60%-80% nitrate)

trying to get the drop master test kit soon.

btw u guys make it sound like the sand will dissolve....theres nothing but LR in my tank so is it ok to make a 50% water change? i want that coudy stuff out asap.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
CoolWaters said:
i can have the powerheads on? im aiming them upwards (cuz they said that creates the most flow)

my SG is down to 1.018 now

heat is slowly raising 74.9 now

my strip testing kit suxs big time...the air around me is contaminating the nitrate and nitrite (air is made up of 60%-80% nitrate)

trying to get the drop master test kit soon.

btw u guys make it sound like the sand will dissolve....theres nothing but LR in my tank so is it ok to make a 50% water change? i want that coudy stuff out asap.
Dont dump the salt right into the tank. You can take a little water and mix it with a little bit more salt then just dump it right back. The sand should clear up by itself, but a pre-filter can help do it faster. Dont water change some of that good bacteria might get washed up. Patience yougn one!:D <<<Yoda from Star Wars lol

Flowerkid

Large Fish
Mar 12, 2006
if you want to clean your tank fast just put a small sponge on the bottom of your ph and it will most likely clean up in a few hours. I dont know how good it is for your ph tho. But that is what i did because i was so anxcious

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
yea one thing you gotta have in this hobby is patiance ;) give it a few days till it settles and everything will be fine

Last edited:

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
i started this 4 months ago... and it seemed kinda sad that to see wat i had so far...

anyways hope to add fish next week or so.

once the sand settles can i aim the powerheads up? or down? its leveled right now. and aiming at each other.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
You need to wait a few days for it to settle where it's comfortable in your system. Mine settled after a while, and I bet I have much more flow than you so don't worry.....

can have the powerheads on? im aiming them upwards (cuz they said that creates the most flow). << Aim them as you want them to get the most flow. The sand will sort itself out eventually

my SG is down to 1.018 now<<The sand absorbed no salt, thats bunkum. Can you measure sg accurately - what are you using? A swingarm - are you resting it on a measured FLAT surface to read it (flat means measured with a spirit level)

heat is slowly raising 74.9 now <<try to get it right and keep it there. Fooling around with temp, salinity, pH all the time is very dangerous for livestock

my strip testing kit suxs big time...the air around me is contaminating the nitrate and nitrite (air is made up of 60%-80% nitrate)<<no, nitrogen, and no it isn't corrupting your test kits

trying to get the drop master test kit soon.<<Good

btw u guys make it sound like the sand will dissolve<<yeah , in about 5 years>>....theres nothing but LR in my tank so is it ok to make a 50% water change? i want that coudy stuff out asap.<<why, you only just bought it?

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
yeah i just bought the sand. and also using a swingarm hydrometer.

and im trying to keep temper. at 79

i think the air does effect my test strip cuz i left a black on out and the nitrate and nitrite turned white to pink (really dark pink)

my flow right now is 530 gph in my 10g it aiming it at forward cuz it looks like im getting an even flow.

the sand gets kick up and displaced still...theres uneven amounts of sand on the bottom cuz of the powerheads...do i have to wait until the water is crystal clear? on hold off on water changes?

btw i was about to use my spong but it had bleach in it...going to c if i can cut up some prefilter sponges 2morrow...