Adding a Pearl?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is it possible to add a pearl gourami to my 37 gallon? I had one before which I really liked, and am thinking about getting another. There is an lfs around here with nice, healthy looking baby pearls (about 1.5 inches-really cute).

Would it get along with the fish already in there (in signature)? I tried an opaline, and it was mean and chased the catfish for no apparent reason...but pearls are supposed to be nicer, right?

Or would adding one make me overstocked? The 2 kuhli loaches are going in there tomorrow, too.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
My Pearls did not get along with my Angels when I had them in my 38 gallon marsh tank. The nipped them and chased them a lot. I know some MFT members had some luck, but personally I would not mix them.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Would it work out if I waited a while and the angels were considerably bigger than the pearl? There would be more room in the tank then too, because I will probably have to remove the neons when the angels get larger. Of course, at that time, I will most likely be moving the paradise fish into the 37, along with the danios, and I don't think the paradise would get along with a pearl. Oh, well.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Ya, I feel your pain. I love gouramies and angels too, but I decided to keep them seperated.

I am focusing more on species specific tank. I will keep my marsh community tank, but plan on having dedicated angel, cory and goldfish tanks.

I am spending more money now on plants and scenery in my tanks, and focusing more time on breeding and natural behaviors through aquascaping.