Adding a sponge

Jul 23, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hey all!

Quick question regarding the addition of a sponge filter.

Now my tank has just cycled (hooray!). I have a hang on back power filter at the moment that is chugging away keeping my tank up to scratch. Now I was wondering, would adding a sponge filter in addition to the power filter affect the completed cycle in my tank in any negative way?

And if not, how long would it take approximately for the sponge filter to build up an established bacterial colony, for the purpose of 'seeding' a new tank?

Cheers for any help :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
congrats on the tank cycle :) Adding a sponge filter would have no negative impact to your cycled tank, and we usually say a couple of weeks would be sufficient for bacteria to colonize and start up a new tank. Some people keep a sponge filter going in one of their tanks so that they are ready on the fly to set up a quarantine tank etc If you are going to be using it to speed up the cycle in another tank, it may actually work best to take that sponge and swish it in the other tank, squeeze it over the filter and then return to your cycled tank and repeat the process again every couple of days.

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
I agree with Froggy,
and i have additional sponges ( or pads ) in 2 of my tanks so that when one falls apart i can put new in without having to worry about enough bacteria, and when its time for my new tank ill be set !

Jul 23, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hey all, thanks for the replies.

One more question.

What is the best method of setting the sponge up. Air pump? power head? I have an air pump at the moment that I dont use because it is far too loud to leave on. Anyone got a recommendation for a super quiet pump? The tank is in my bedroom and im a light sleeper!

Cheers everyone

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
I have mine hooked up to a powerhead, adds good circulation and collects junk like dead leaves on the oppoisite side of the tank and my main filter.