Adding Live Rock to a Cycled Tank, New cycle?

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- While focusing on my 29g tank, I have been slowly establishing my 50g tank. I have about 10lbs of LR, 20lbs of base rock (been in there for about a 10 days), and 20lbs of live sand. The tank has been setup for 6 weeks and the amonia, nitrite, and nitrate are 0, 0, 20 respectively. I will be adding some cured LR in a few days. Will this cause the tank to completely re-cylce or just a mini cycle? Other than the rock/sand, there are no other live creatures in there.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It usually causes a mini cycle if you put in new rock. You shouldn't see a full-blown cycle, but a little ammonia/nitrites should be expected.

If you don't want to have that, you'll need to cure the rock outside of the tank (in a bucket with a powerhead/heater, for example). As you don't have any livestock in that tank, it's not a problem to add rock now, unless you're desperately wanting to stock it soon.

MatthewLaw

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2008
PA
Thanks for the quick response. Just what I expected with the mini-cycle. I certainly am not in a rush to stock the tank. I have learned that patience is essential and doing it right the first time will be a lot cheaper than rushing now and having to do it twice in the future!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You may not even have a mini cycle if you buy your rock locally and keep it wet during the drive home and put it in the tank immediately. A mini cycle or any for that matter is just the result of die off on the rock during transport.....if you minimize the die off and the rock is fully cured then you may not even see a mini cycle.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
throw it in! :D not any live stock so nothing to worry about and if its truely cured u should be ok for the most part (problem is its usually not "fully" cured)