adding live rock to an established tank

kaihonu82

Small Fish
Mar 30, 2006
santa clara, ca
Hi,

When I started my 29g tank back in March I added about 15lbs of live rock. I'd like to add more, but I'm not exactly sure how I should go about it since my tanks has been up and running for a bit. I don't want to throw more in if its going to disrupt what I have going on already.

Any suggestions for safely adding more..? Thanks in advance!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yup get a large tub and cure it outside of your tank. Even if you buy cured LR online it will have some die off due to it being shipped.

Or you can buy pre cured LR from most good salt water pet shops.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I recently just added more rock to my tank. Here is what I did.

Went to walmart and got a tub thing you could be a beer keg into. Put the rock inside there along with a heater and airstone/powerhead. I think a powerhead with the air tube attachment would be best. I put just enough water in the tub to cover the rock a couple inches. Then twice a week I would do 100% water changes. I used test strips just to get a rough idea of how the parameters were doing. During each water change I scrubbed the rocks with a tooth brush. It was cured in about 2 weeks. I have used this process twice and so far have had good results.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If buying it locally make sure you ask if it is cured........if they have a stunned look and say "it sure is" treat it as if it isn't. Either way I would be leary of adding it directly until I was 100% positive that a spike won't occur.....as it is much better to happen in a bucket than in your tank

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Buy a small amount at time (ie. 2-3lbs every couple weeks) of cured LR from your LFS and just make sure you remove anything that looks as though it is still dead & decaying, give it a good rinse-off in a bucket of SW and then add it to your tank. Just keep an eye on your levels for the next week and perform water changes as required. You should be fine, I have done this many times with no ill effects.

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
SALTY WATERS said:
Buy a small amount at time (ie. 2-3lbs every couple weeks) of cured LR from your LFS and just make sure you remove anything that looks as though it is still dead & decaying, give it a good rinse-off in a bucket of SW and then add it to your tank. Just keep an eye on your levels for the next week and perform water changes as required. You should be fine, I have done this many times with no ill effects.
I have to agree with this..I also have done it this way with no spikes or cycles. Remove everything with tweezers, that looks like it might bite or sting..even if it looks dead, some creatures can with stand dry periods and be playing possum..you never know what is lurking in there, oh and wear rubber gloves. You may already know this.:) Good luck.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Went to walmart and got a tub thing you could be a beer keg into. Put the rock inside there along with a heater and airstone/powerhead. I think a powerhead with the air tube attachment would be best. I put just enough water in the tub to cover the rock a couple inches. Then twice a week I would do 100% water changes. I used test strips just to get a rough idea of how the parameters were doing. During each water change I scrubbed the rocks with a tooth brush. It was cured in about 2 weeks. I have used this process twice and so far have had good results.

When you cure rock outside in a tub like this, do you have to do it with pre-mixed saltwater or can you do it with regular freshwater?

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
First PLEASE check with your local and State laws regarding the collection of wild life to be sure that it is allowed. If it is prohibited PLEASE obide by the laws as they are there to protect and preserve the area.

As for the difference between cured and uncured... Uncured is basically LR that has mostly died due to transportation after collection. You then need to Cure this rock before it is suitable for aquarium life.

Cured is well... cured and ready to support life in the aquarium.

That is a very very basic description.