Adding more live rock to cycling tank?? and some other questions...

Mar 19, 2005
hi,
I wish I had found this site earlier! about 10 days ago I decided I would finaly take the plunge and give SW a try! I was so excited, I had just moved and had an empty Eclipse tank ( 30 gallon tall) sitting around. The LFS assured me this system would be fine for a fish only tank, and pointed me in somewhat of a direction. I purchased 25lbs of live sand(4 days prior to the LR), and 5 lbs of live rock ( apparently it was uncultured). I left my FW bio-wheel in the hood, and set up the tank. my Specific gravety is at about 1.021, nitrate and nitrite are 0, temp is 76, pH is 8.5, and amonia is present but low. after reading more I am concerned that I do not have enough LR and sand in my tank. I found a store that sells already "cured" live rock for cheaper then I bought my uncured for. My question is, will it be safe to add the cured rock to my tank? The uncured rock has been in there for 6 days.
my second question is should I buy more live sand? currently my sand bed is about an inch and a half. since it is a 30 tall, it doesnt have as much surface area on the bottom to cover. I also have 75lbs of aruba shells and crushed coral sitting in my garage from a 50gallon A. cichlid tank that broke about 2 years ago, would it be a bad idea to add that to deppen the substrate on the bottom.
lastly should I wait until the tank has fully cycled before adding any type of "Cleaner crew" or would a couple of these fellas help in the cycling process.
I have kept almost every kind of freshwater set up, and some brakish, but saltwater in new to me. I would like to put damsels, clown fish, or dotty backs in my tank ( or combination) although I have to admit I love puffers, are there any small species of puffer that could live in a 30 gallon? also I have been told that I need a protein skimmer and different lighting to have anemonea's or corals, but then others have said I dont need it, what do you think? I have to admit, I love to watch the clowns hanging out with the anemones at the FS, ever since I could remember I have wanted a tank with both in it.

thanks for your help, I kinda came up with way more questions as I was typing! I am so excited to start this tank, I am kinda a fish freak, when I lived in the dorms for college, people would knock on my door to see my wall to wall fish tanks.. they called me the fish girl, lol

Thanks again!
Kristen

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
ok, first dont buy precured Live rock, at this point just buy some more uncured and it will continue your cycle, second you should be fine with that amount of sand for a FOWLR, next just remove the bio-wheel, totally not necessary for a SW tank, yes you need a protein skimmer there is a myriad of options out there for you depending on how much cash you want to drop, if you want a reef you will need better lighting, also next on your list of purchases should be some good books, Paletta's "The new marine aquarium" is a good one to start with, second go slow, add some more live rock and then let it sit and cycle for 4 weeks, then test your water and in the mean time do that reding and ask us some more questions, welcome to the tank
Brahm

I realize I said secondly a bunch of times....also dont add the crushed coral from your FW tanks

Mar 19, 2005
ok, will it hurt the cured live rock if I add it? It is cheaper then the uncured, and I dont have a whole lot of money left to spend... poor college kid. I am fine with going slow, but there is a difference of about 5 dollars a pound between cured and uncured.
Thanks!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
ok well that is very strange, in general the cured is much more expensive than uncured...does your cured rock smell? becauase if you you have it backwards, if not then yea buy the cured stuff, it can only help your tank cycle

Mar 19, 2005
the difference in price is because it is from different stores...one sells only cured and the other sells only uncured, it is just that the uncured store charges more for their rock.

thanks for the advice!
Kristen