Adding more substrate

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I have pentagon corner fish tank. It has been running for about 2 months. It is very lightly stock with 2 black skirt tetras and about 6 or 7 neon tetras.

I want to increase the substrate bed. My question, what would happen to the tank (nitrifying bacteria colony) that is already present. Would the tank go through a mini cycle if I add another 10 pounds or so of gravel.
One of the main reason, I want to do this is so I can put like plants and want a thick substrate.

I doubt if any really will change to the nitrogen cycle except to increase bacteria colony over few weeks.
I am more concerned about immediate adverse effects.

-Rohn

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Rohn, I'd like to think any BB on your existing substrate would be OK, given they are still going to be submerged and in contact with food, oxygen, etc.

What type of filtration to you have on this hex tank? Sponges and hard parts on the clean end of the filter should be loaded with BB too.

Joel

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I have Eheim 2213 canister filter. Of course, the existing gravel will still be underwater. All I am going do it add more gravel.
I am going to make small opening in the bag (gravel is pre-washed according to the label and I have used it before). Submerged the bag in the water till it reaches the bottom and pour the gravel out.

I think this would be less stressful for wish. I will do this when I am doing my next water change.

I have also found that SafeStart in be an excellent product that I use. It contain live bacteria. I will add a few drop after I am done.

-Rohn

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
I wouldn't worry about the substrate situation at all if you've got an established canister filter running on the tank. Those things have a huge surface area for beneficial bacteria. You could probably completely remove and replace the substrate w/out issue.

Nothing against the API Safestart, but IMO, it's not needed.