adding ottos

Jan 4, 2007
yesterday i was at my lfs and i saw ottos and thought that they would be a good addition to my tank because the pleco that i have cant get into the small nooks that have been made by the lace rock that i have in my tank and he seems just to stay in a few places and i need someone to get rid of the little bit of algae on my plants.......but would they be all right with what i have in my tank? decided to ask on here to make my wife happy because whe was like "i dont think you can have them in your tank. you need to ask someone." so here i am asking.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
yes otos would be ok. youll need to get maybe sinking algae tablets in case they cant find food.

and the clown loaches will get to big for the 29g along with your common pleco which can reach up to a foot long, possibly longer.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Otos

Are these the recommended algae eaters. Don't need them yet, but possibly in the future.

GO EAGLES!!!*BOUNCINGS

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Otos are the usually recommended algae eaters. They create far less waste than regular plecos and don't grow to 1foot+ size. Be careful though, they need to go in fully cycled tanks, they are sensitive to water conditions. They also need a food source. Make sure to put an algae tablet in every other day or so, they will still clean the algae in your tank, but will starve if nothing is growing.

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
u say a comon pleco can get up to a foot long? oops umm well will they work out in my pond? right now its in my tank with the goldies that are goin outside once it warms up a little then were gettin some tropicals. will the pleco do fine in the pond

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Yes, commons get very very large. My current common pleco is already a foot long, but I've seen them even larger at my LFS. It depends on how cold your area is, where do you live? It may be ok in the pond, but I'm not sure on survival rates where ponds freeze over.

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
If you take out the pleco and/or the clown loaches you could possibly add a school of some sort to your tank, everything you have now is mainly bottom dwellers. Maybe some danios?

And yes, ottos will do great in your tank as long as its established, they will clean up any algae really quick, plus they're cute :)