Adding salt?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
I have been reading alot about fish since we decided to get a tank and I have read multiple times in various places about adding a teaspoon of salt for every gallon to a freshwater tank. Should I be doing this?

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you are trying to treat fish for certain symptoms.

I found this link for you: http://www.algone.com/salt_in_fresh.htm

Notice what is says at the bottom:

"Salt does interfere with the osmotic regulation of fish and plants. It should be left alone; nature regulated that part itself, by creating freshwater, brackish and saltwater fish.
The low beneficial amount of salt, mentioned above will not have any benefits in addition to water conditioners and/or stress coats already used for water treatments."

and...

"The immediate threat of salt to fish and plants is greater then that of any potential long term benefits that may or may not be gained by its use."

Hope all of this helps clarify your question.

Last edited:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
It depends on what fish are in the tank, also. Some fish - goldfish, mollies, some gobies and rainbowfish - appreciate some salt in their water. Some do poorly in salt of any amount long term.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
This is a hotly debated subject. Many of the "old school" fishkeepers use salt.

I personally don't, as I believe if it's a freshwater fish, then salt doesn't belong in the tank, except for short-term medication.

If the fish you're thinking of is really a brackish fish, I wouldn't put it in a freshwater aquarium, as it will generally not do well and will die an early death. In general, I take a lot of the online profiles with a pinch of salt (pun intended); you need to read as many as you can, and try to sift through the poor advice. In general, looking up fish by the scientific name will give you more results from the search engine.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Well I have read alot about the ABF and today is the first day I saw that they needed salt. So you don't think I should put it in there?