Adding salt?

Dec 19, 2009
NW London
Just wondering if it is necessary to do for fish such as platies, guppies or cory's in regular water changes. If so, why and what does it do? I have read that it is done for stressed fish/ is this true. Thanks in advance for the anwsers to more of my questions *celebrate

phin

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2009
I add 1 Tsp of aquarium salt per 5 gal of water in my tank. I replace the same amount of salt per gallon of water changed at each water change. Supposedly the salt adds electrolytes the fish need for healthy gill function. It supposedly acts as a tonic and stress reducer for the fish.

A lot of people use salt in larger amounts + temp increase to fight off ich and other diseases. Since it is used to fight diseases I figure a constant low level will act as a good preventative. my tetras seem to be just fine.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I read somewhere that the salt is good for mollies.
You don't want to do too much salt, however. I believe I heard somewhere that mollies and guppies (and maybe platies?) can actually be aclimated from being freshwater fish to brackish fish to saltwater fish by adding more salt to their tank. I don't know how true this is, but it's a good caution to dose the salt exactly as it reads on the box.