Adding terranium wood

Mr. Fishy

Small Fish
Mar 8, 2009
Portland, OR
Fish store drift wood is kinda expensive... So I did some searching and I found out that...

I have some old drift wood looking pieces of wood that I had in an old land hermit crab tank.

I was wondering if I could use it in my tank?
Like would there be some diseases on it? Haha I dont know. Im just asking.

I grabbed a cool piece and put it in an old 1/2 gal fish bowl with hot water and it floated and so far the water is clear... So I will see by morning if its good or not...

Any suggestions..?

Mr. Fishy

Small Fish
Mar 8, 2009
Portland, OR
this morning half was sunken and the other half was trying to float. the water was yellow so I emptied it and refilled and put floating down at bottom. Going to see what happens after school.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
that wood should be safe, as whiskers pointed out I would probably boil it to make sure, you can purchase a cheap pot from walmart if you needed to, i purchase all most all of my driftwood from the reptile section of petsmart it is far cheaper than the wood marketed for aquariums found in most LFS around town.

Jun 21, 2008
Actually, driftwood just naturally releases tannins that can dye the water to a yellow/tea color. It's nothing to worry about, and can happen even with wood that you buy at the store. I boiled mine and then soaked it for a couple days before putting it in my tank. After a couple weeks it started leeching tannins, but a water change and adding some carbon has cured it.