Adding wild caught snails

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
We intentionally didn't collect any abolone. There were a few signs dotted around offering the legal warnings. There were also signs educating beach combers and surfers etc on how to prevent the spread of some kind of small black snail which is apparently over eating and damaging the environments in which it resides. Again we didn't take those.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I wouldn't worry too much about the toxins/dieseases deal, but I would worry about the temp rise killing stuff.
Do you think stuff is 'de-diseased' when it's collected rom the reef and sold to you? And you're far more likely to find dieseases specific to your organisms there than anywhere else.
Don't a lot of 'turbo' snails sold in the US get collected locally (explaining their short lives). Also explains the cost. All mine are from theIndoPac and have a price to match

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
yeah i'm pretty sure most of the US's turbo, cerith, nassarius and astrea snails, red legged hermits come from either the Gulf of California or Mexico...the Gulf of Mexico is alright temp wise, but the Gulf of California is cooold...warmer than the pacific, but not by much