ADF and Betta (Or other fish)

Feb 16, 2009
Hi,
I have an empty 2.5 gallon tank. I would like to but an ADF in it. How many could I have? Also would a betta or any other fish be able to go with it? How about ghost shrimp? It would be helpful if you could include quantities aswell.

The tank is heated filtered, and cycled. The water parameters are all normal. There are pieces of driftwood and plants to hide in aswell. Thanks in advance! :)

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
A 2 1/2 is pretty tight quarters. You could probably get away with two African dwarf frogs, but there is not much room on the bottom for the ghost shrimp to move around and feed. I would skip the shrimp and the betta until you can get a larger tank. I personally wouldn't put a betta in a 2 1/2 gallon. Others may have a different opinion, but I think that is just a little too tight when you consider the driftwood, plants, gravel etc.

Also, do your research on ADF's, they are fun little creatures, but can be difficult to feed at times.

Best of luck!

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Also, do your research on ADF's, they are fun little creatures, but can be difficult to feed at times.
Good lord, yes they're hard to feed. The first few times my girlfriend tried feeding hers, she used chopsticks to give them each pellet she tried to feed them. She worked at it for half an hour and ended up getting nothing into their mouths. It's been 2 weeks or so, and they're starting to get it. On the other hand, her older brother has 2 ADFs as well and he's never tried feeding them specifically. They've been going strong for well over a year now. Soooo, I guess it might be luck *shrug*

We have each of our bettas in their own 5 gallon tanks, but after all the decorations of wood and plants and stuff, it cuts down the actual amount of water down to about 3 gallons. It's your call really, but it might be a little tight for the betta AND the frogs. Also, I've seen our frogs bite onto the betta's tail several times. After it happened a few times they figured out that he wasn't food.

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
I've never had a prob with my ADF's not eating. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat. I just make sure to put enough food in teh tank for all my fish and them too. With a 2.5, you wont have any other fish, so they should be fine. In such a small tank though, you'll have to change out the water frequently. Frogs are a little messy for such a small tank. I started mine in a 1.5 and I finally threw them in my 29g. Also, make sure your lid fits tight and there are NO open holes. They WILL find them and jump out. :(

Feb 16, 2009
Ok thanks. I've found that a method that work very well if use tweezers (I use bloodworms) and put it in front of their face. After a couple of seconds they pounce! So no fish..That is ok. Would ghost shrimp and/or a golden mystery snail be an option? Thanks, and sorry to be such a bother

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
I wouldn't recommend putting anything else in a 2 1/2 gallon. Mystery snails are messy and grow to the size of a baseball. Ghost shrimp, like I said above won't have much room on the bottom to move around and feed. A 2 1/2 just doesn't give you a lot of options to adequately care for any more than the adf's.

kayliwolf76

Medium Fish
Mar 3, 2009
Adf

I read somewhere online that they are nearly blind and find food based on smell. Also mine was really skinny until i started this method. I waited until he was in a corner hanging out, I thawed some bloodworms and gently lifted the lid using a turkey baster take a small amount of water and add it to the worms, suck the whole thing up and gently deliver it to the front of the frog. If you don't think he's eaten lately he will pounce quickly. Warning be gentle as they can be skiddish. Wait couple days find him in same corner and repeat. He will eventually return to this corner when hungry.;)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Actually, apple snails are the ones that get to be the size of baseballs. Mystery snails grow to maybe 1.5 inches in diameter, that's the biggest I've seen. They are fascinating and can do well with bettas because they hide in their shells. Frogs are hard to keep because of the feeding issue, you have to make sure they are getting food in their mouths.