Advice needed about recycling a tank and aggressive fish

Jul 20, 2009
Hi there, I'm new to these parts and fairly new to fishkeeping in general, and am in need of a little advice. I shall start at the beginning here.

I have had a small tank (around 60 litres I think thats about 18 gallons) for a few months, in which I currently have one female Bolivian Ram, a male Black Sailfin Molly, 2 Neon Tetra, an African Dwarf Frog and a male Cobalt Blue Dwarf Gourami. Things haven't gone as swimmingly as I would have liked, I lost the female Gourami and a shrimp before recently moving, in the process of moving annoyingly the bacteria on the filter died and I am struggling somewhat to recycle the tank with it's current inhabitants but am doing everything in my power to restablise the tank whilst keeping its inhabitants happy and healthy, although the Chinese Algae Eater I had didn't make it. Though I can't say I'm too annoyed by that since he was a real terror and has attacked all my fish, my Gourami still bears the scars of battle.

So that concludes the beginning and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips regarding recycling tanks. I'm doing the basics of less feeding, regular water changes and removing uneaten food. But is there anything else I can do?

Right after that here comes the next thing. For my birthday I am getting a pretty big 350 Litre (77 gallons) tank, but its second hand and already has fish in it and I'm somewhat worried about as they are mostly fairly agressive.

Here's the list:

A pair of Orange Marble Blushing Angels
An Electric Blue Mbuna
Another Mbuna but I don't know it's name, it's brown and creamy yellow
A Juliodechromis
A couple of Brichardi
A Yellow Severum
5 Congo Tetra
An Adonis Pleco (A foot long, will it grow much more?)
3 Clown Loach

I've been told they should all get along as they have their own territory but I'm not convinced. Will they be tricky to keep together and fight? They don't even seem to prefer the same water conditions... I'm thinking of getting rid of the top 4 since they seem too aggressive, unless I were to be given some sound advice about their care. I'm also guessing I won't be able to put my other fish in with them but I'd prefer to move them into the new tank.

Anyway if you've reached the end of my rather long post then thank you for reading and I would really appriciate any advice you can give me, especially from experienced fish keepers and those who have kept an Adonis Pleco and aggressive fish such as the Mbunas.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Welcome to MFT!

Your right to be wary about the new tank. That's some screwy stocking that's in there. Either the Malawi cichlids (the mbuna) or the New World/South American (Angels and Severums) would do ok on their own, but that is trouble trying to keep them in a tank such as that. Both can be down right stunning in their own right, so if you want to pick an area and stick with it and add some to it that would be fine, but I would not recommend leaving them all in the same tank for a long period of time. The brichardi are in a league of their own IMHO. Your smaller tank would make a great species only tank for them if you've got a male and female pair that will breed for you. Neo. brichardi are some of my all time favorite fish.

As far as recycling goes, if you can get some seeded media from a trusted source, that will help speed things along. But other than that it's just a process that seems to take forever!