Advice on food + bowel movements!

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
I am feeding my platys ( and one pleco) Omega One freshwater flakes. Every now and again maybe a little frozen brine shrimp (they've only had this twice though). The fish sometimes have very long strands of fine poop coming out as opposed to nice chunky short ones which I think is healthier? I am wondering if their diet is OK? What do you recommend? Are they constipated? :eek: I have no live plants in the tank and so they have no greens.

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
I feed them twice a day, a couple of flakes at a time for around 2 mins. The stringy strands are colorless, like fine strands of silk, sometimes about 2 inches long. I've had them about 4 weeks so the change in their diet may be from store to home, but after 4 weeks? They have had this since I got them.

erickles

Small Fish
Mar 31, 2005
Massachusetts
I have not fed them any live food, no. I would like to give them a more varied diet, I just don't know what this would be for a fish! I feel guilty I have no live plants for them to nibble on, but as I only have a 10g I was told that plants may not be a good idea.

ashleigh

Superstar Fish
Jan 8, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Well, I don't think you shoudl feel guilty, but don't let having a ten gallon stop you from adding live plants if you like them. There are plenty of low maintenance species out there if you are really interested. But, as for the diet aspect, if you look around at prepared foods you can find a good variety of plant and animal based selections.